Any idea on hub caps that would look nice on a 70?

Went to get some new tires for the Monte Carlo and one of my wire hub caps flew off on the freeway. Searched for hours trying to find it with no luck.

Anyways now I'm in need of some hub caps and wondered if you guys might have any ideas on something that might look different/nice and fit my stockers? Doesn't have to be wires.

Thanks,

spoony

I put a wanted add in the classifieds.

If you have just stock steel wheels you could paint them any color you want and then maybe put a set of center caps and trim rings on then. I have been toying with that idea black rims with baby moons and the trim rings, had them on my 64 elcamino and liked them. Some of the aftermarket rims really arent that bad priced eather. Steve

If you are luck in your area (craigs list or Kijiji) you may find a nice set of Corvette rally trim rings and center derby caps or like mine the smaller rally caps. There use to be a ton of them for sale all the way up to 15x8 when of course I wasn't looking wink

Scott

If you have just stock steel wheels you could paint them any color you want and then maybe put a set of center caps and trim rings on then. Steve

Yeah there the stock steel wheels. I was thinking about doing something along the lines of what you and others have mentioned. Trim rings and center caps as well as painting up the rims real nice. The problem is none of the local tire/wheel dealers in my area have any idea of what will fit. They basically want to sell you wheels and that’s it. If your needs require any time they don't want to deal with it and that’s why I thought I'd ask here.

I just installed new Michelins 215/70 15 hydroedge’s on the car. I was hoping I could put on some kind of decent looking trim parts on the factory stamped wheels. Do you know what the factory width is? I was thinking of some kind of ring but don’t know what I should be using and what kind of cap dimensions will work?

Would it help if I posted up a picture of the wheel?

Thanks again for all the help,

spoony

If you are luck in your area (craigs list or Kijiji) you may find a nice set of Corvette rally trim rings and center derby caps or like mine the smaller rally caps. There use to be a ton of them for sale all the way up to 15x8 when of course I wasn't looking wink

Scott

I've never seen the smaller rally caps, what did they originally come on? Who sells them?

Murph, The smaller ones were on I think the Chevelle's in like 66-67, there is even a cap that says disc brakes on them. I have them on my BLazer on a set of wheel vintiques vette rims. They sell the caps also, as well as a couple other places. Wheel Vintiques are repops but they look as good as originals...

Hey Spoony,

you could always do what I am thinking of doing on my blazer for the winter(seeing as they are calling for a bad winter) I was thinking of a set of snow type tires on a set of 15x7 steel wheels painted body color with the poverty(dog dish)hub caps...

Yes I have seen them on a Chevelle from that vintage. Also on a couple of late 60's Corvette's

Here is a closer pic of mine:

DSCN0927.jpg

They will get a redo over winter I think with fresh paint. I would like to go CHROME with the centre caps, like I saw on an Elky, but $$$ to spend elsewhere yet!!!

Here is the wheel I am working with.

DSCN0467.jpg

The EBay link is to a cap I was considering but between the time I was out measuring and came back to bid it got sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-VINTAGE-CHEVY-...=item43aabcbaa3

centercap.jpg

Anyways I was thinking of something along of that cap with a narrow beauty ring might look good and be a bit different. As you can see a center cap like what you can use on a rally wheel just wont work. What do you guys think of where I'm going with this?

Thanks,

spoony

Im pretty sure Jegs and Summit sells then also i do remember seeing them somewhere. also had the baby moons with the chevy bow tie on them but cant remember where. If I think of it i'll let you know. Of all the things i've lost I miss my mind the most rofl

I'm not sure on the years but they first showed up on say 64-67 Vettes,66-67 Novas and Chevelles.

As far as steel wheels,I know you can get 15x7 in a Rally wheel but did any MC come with a 15x7 steel wheel without the rally wheel slots?I know they came on some full size Chevy wagons.I've always liked the sleeper look with those wheels and dog dish hub caps.

[img:center]http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=460161#Post460161[/img]

Guys I came up with a full set of spokes, drivers, for a price that I could not pass up. They will do while I look around for ideas on the center cap trim ring combo I'm thinking about.

Thanks for all the help,

spoony

If you have a Les Schwab in your area, <linky to Schwab> have a look at 63 Rally Silver, those are what I have. The caps on there are flat caps like the ones you were looking at on e-bay minus the chevy logo. The're included when you buy the wheels but they also sell them on their own, $10 each last time I checked. Also look at the 63 Rally Trim Rings might also be what you are looking for. They might let you try them on to see if they work.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I would do the 8 inch corvett ralley rims that way you can put as mutch tire on there as you want. If you like the classic look.

serching for a 1972 monte

Jacob