Inconsistent exterior trim!

I'm racking my brain and trying to figure out whats the deal with the chrome trim that runs along the quarter panel and doors (sometimes all the way to the front), horizontally above the wheel openings. I like it, and its the one deviation from my MC's original state I want to add; what is it called?! Was it a GM factory/ dealrship add-on? Thanks.

Are the moldings glue or pop riveted on. If pop riveted and have three pcs to each section(front tapered end, middle and other end with the last molding having the taper at the other end) they could be from a line called Trim Line who also did graphics. Very good quality moldings but I never cared for them drilling holes n my car. Glue on might be found at a parts or automotive paint store.

GM used this body side mouldings on many vehicles and most of it was put on at the dealerships as an add on or some could be ordered from the factory. 3M made the material for them if I remember and local trim shops use to put it on. On my 86 Buick Century Limited when I got the car from the dealer I deleted the thin side mouldings and had them get the company to put on the wide CHROME mouldings that matched the wrap from the ends of the bumpers. It looked VERY nice and matched the style perfectly. A GM Canada exec was at the dealership that day when I took delivery and in 87-88 model years they made this LARGER body side moulding available as an option put on at the factory (actually a local trim shop did them like the Camaro strips are put on all the new ones now)

Most of these were all put on with adhesive but before that in the early 70's a lot were bolted on or used clips like the lower trim to install onto the car. I have not seen this on any of the factory original Monte's I've ever seen for sale, but that does not mean they didn't do it? Just have never seen it. If some have pictures of it would be nice to see.

Scott

Thanks for all the info guys. GM did some "various" things to vehicles that just show up every now and then; i met an older woman once that was driving a first gen MC with a half-vinyl top. she said the car was purchased by her father new, with that top! only one i've seen like that...

I met an older woman once that was driving a first gen MC with a half-vinyl top. she said the car was purchased by her father new, with that top! only one i've seen like that...

That top would have been another dealer/aftermarket installed item.