Chromed grille??

Murphy

The grille of my 71 is really nice, no cracks, chips, or scratches....but was wondering what it might look like fully chromed. Has anyone ever had one chromed? Maybe that would be too much bling??

Maybe the $ is the big stumbling block. I contacted a local (well within 50 miles) chromer who advertised on Kijiji. I contacted them regards to a rechrome of my rear bumper.

WELL they quoted me 600 ish for it alone!!!! shock

Now I've seen ones new (or redone?) on e-bay for 300. Even factor 100 for freight charge and your still farther ahead. And no waiting. Then could sell mine to recoupe some of the $ for the new one as mine isn't BAD but not as nice as the front (which has been done).

So I'm thinking it's gonna be expensive and if they don't do a good job the chrome could flake off it on the grill with bugs etc. Too many edges and sharp surfaces.

Just my .02 on it but I bet it would look good for a show car.

Scott

There is a place some where south of INDY that redoes bumpers like ours for $350. do not know the name of the place but I have seen some of his work and it really looks good.

Yeah even with shipping being DOUBLE shock that's the same price!! STUPID nutz

So I bet freight charges wouldn't be much more then 150 even. So that is still 100 cheaper...and that is for one re-chromed and I've seen some listed for that price (300) and less than 100 shipped!!!!

And if I get it done here for that price then add 13% tax to it and then have to either A ship it there or B) drive there with it to drop off and pick up to keep costs down...

Doesn't make a lot of sense. And I bet it's a thin layer not triple dipped like they use to do!!!

Real RIP OFF if you ask me...

oh well it's a dying art and a bygone era....all the new chrome on any cars now is PLASTIC... cry2

Summerfield, North Carolina, good friend of mine. Mike Boyt in his 72 Monte.

Chrome... $1500

Leo's detail job $800

plus grill emblem, and NOS lenses and bezels. About $2500 or so total.

0806111122g.jpg

Yea thats the one thanks Jared. I assume he got the brake problem cleared up. Thats a beautiful car.

Yeah he did, that was before my mini meet in August, thats why he didn't bring his car to the East Meet.

$500 ain't to bad. I just wish I could find somewhere to chrome just the outside of the grille, because 75% of the chrome is covered in silver paint.

I think Carl Hanson from VA had this done on his 72 grille for $400, they just done the outside area, maybe he'll chime in.

Ask Rodney he had his done and came out real nice. We have a guy in the club (his name escapes me right now) from sc that had his grill done and its perfest but it was like 2 or 3 grand.
I got both my bumpers done for $645. It cost me $45 each to ship to TN, and Tri-City charged me like I think $55 each to ship them back to me. Locally I was quoted $600 each. I am getting my grille,headlight bezels, tailight trim, lower tailight extension trim rechromed for $450 here locally. The shop is so backed up they are still working on them. The gentleman said that he would only be able to chrome the outer face part of the grille for some reason, which is ok because the inside should be painted anyway if I'm not mistaken. I will post pics as soon as I get the items in my hands!!

Thats my whole point Rodney, let us all know how the chrome work you're getting done turns out, I can't see paying all that $$$ when the grills look better when they are correctly detailed out anyway.

I need to have a set of 70 headlight bezels chromed, I'm sick of one of mine looking gold while the other turned out nice, bought them off ebay for $80 about 5 years ago, the prettiest one was the one in the picture of course, not to bad but its noticable alteast by me.