Power Steering Pump

I have a 70 SS. Over the past few years, the PS pump seems to be slowly leaking fluid. I find some fluid on the inner fender. It's also noisy at idle (sort of a whine) but not terrible. Steering behaves normally and the sound doesn't change when turning the steering wheel.

The leak and the whine makes me think of a bearing. Replace, rebuild? Any suggestions for where to get a replacement or rebuild kit? Are they tough to rebuild (never done one before).

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I bought a used power steering pump and steering box for my '70 4-speed that was built with manual steering. I had to partially disassemble the pump to clean it and paint it before installation. The main bearing and shaft seemed to be in good shape so I did not replace the bearing but I suspect they can still be found or ordered. I agree that the symptoms you describe suggest a worn bearing. Leaks of powering steering fluid can also be from the fittings on your steering box (need to be super tight) and cracked or split hoses.

The one thing I did learn is that you need to exercise great care when you pull the drive pulley from the shaft. The metal web is quite thin and is very easy to deform (ask me how I know) unless you pull it evenly and slowly. I suggest a three-armed puller and periodically tapping firmly with a hammer on the center shaft of the puller to ease it off.

Step09.jpg

I think I remember seeing a section on rebuilding a power steering pump in one of my Monte chasis service manuals. I'll see what I can find and let you know.

They are not hard to rebuild and the kit is under 20 bucks. The only problem is that you need a press to replace the bearing. It is a sleeve type bearing, not roller.

Dennis or anyone else that has to remove the pulley, I have had good luck over the years using a 2 jawed puller that is sold as a battery cable puller. It pulls the cable end off of the top mount style of battery. So far it has gotten me through 3 different GM old style power steering pump replacements (2 chevy and a pontiac). Look for it in the battery section of the parts store. David

Get a Monte SS box out of a 84-87 Monte SS. Looks identical to ours but has a better turning ratio and ratio gets higher as you move from center. It gradually gets tighter and tighter. All you will need to do is get what they call a hybrid rag joint. Has newer bolt pattern on one side and older one on the other to match up with steering shaft.

All the guys on Long Island have them in their cars and they work great. You can either get one out of a low mileage 84-87 Monte (usually don't go bad) or order a rebuilt one from a parts store. Be sure to say you want one for a 87 Monte SS ...... not a tight ratio one for a 1970 Monte. Not the same thing. A tight ratio one for a 1970 monte has that light feeling at the wheel like our original boxes but with a consistent tighter ratio. The newer Monte SS's have a tighter feel and have the progressive ratio that increases the more you turn the wheel. Order what style you feel you would prefer.

Dan

Dan, are you certain the the 85-88 Monte SS steering boxes have a variable ratio and the stock 70-72 boxes are fixed? When I did my steering box change two years ago I measured the stock 71 box at 12:1 at each lock and 16:1 at center position. The 85 box I put in measured at 12.8:1 through the entire range.

Mike