Fuses in 70 MC

ShckByte

Does anyone have a diagram of what fuse goes to what in a 70 MC? And anyone have better luck at switching out fuses then prying it from the end with a flat head? Haven't changed glass fuses in over 24 years. Thanks.

See attached picture of the fuse block from my 71 (No A/C) with gauge package, it may help. You should be able to read the printed words on each area. I don't know if 1970 was different or not. I have always used a 12 volt test light, touching the tip to each side of each fuse with the key on and the headlights on. If it doesn't light on both sides, the fuse is not passing current. I then use the pointy tip of the 12 volt test light to pry out the fuse. Some times the contacts are rusty and need to be cleaned.

Bruce

Fuse panel 71 no A/C

Ok, took out any fuses that looked suspect, but that didn't seem to fix the radio or overhead light in the car. I checked all connections on the radio and the overhead light seems fine (note: when I took it out yesterday I had the door open for a few seconds and took it out with my hand and it was extremely hot). My radio is detachable and worked fine before I took my dash out to replace the speedometer and heater vents. Could there be anything else that went wrong when I took the dash off that I am missing?

I didn't yank anything when I took the dash off so I can only assume it is a fuse of some sort that controls the interior. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I highly suggest, to everyone who doesn't already have one, to get a 12 volt test light with a sharp pin point needle tip that you can use, to puncture wire insulation to check for power. Great way to quickly check for power. A fuse can be bad but look good. Test the circuit at the end point, if dead, follow it back to the power source, perhaps a fuse, like a road map. Good luck.

Did you unhook a dash ground wire and forget to hook it back up?

That might be possible. I bought a 12-volt meter to test the fuses and one of the fuses doesn't have power on one side and the other fuse (Inst) doesn't have power at all. Would this be because I didn't hook up a dash ground? So frustrating when all I wanted to do was change out a speedometer cable and add new deflectors. Thx.

"one of the fuses doesn't have power on one side"

Normally that would indicate the fuse is blown.

"and the other fuse (Inst) doesn't have power at all."

Are the headlights turned on? They need to be on for the inst lights fuse to get power to even one side.

Isn't electricity fun?

Good luck!

detachable Face???

so it's a newer unit?

is the light always on if the unit is powered up?

does the unit work other than the light?

if yes, yes, yes, and yes, I'd say the light took a dump

I was finally able to get everything going again, thanks for the both of your input. Many fuses went out at once and a few wiring issues I was able to wrap my head around and fix. Glad I am not an electrician, I'd be out of work all the time!