Tire Fitment ?

dbreese

Currently running MT 275/60-15 D/R on a Weld draglite 15x8 with 5.5 BS. Was thinking about going to a 295/55-15. Little shorter but not by much.

Specs on the 275/60

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3754R/

Specs on the 295/55

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3755R/

Rear is a Moser. I have about an 1" clearance on the backside and about the same on the outer lip.

I checked the tire/wheel size thread and didn't see a combo quite like the one I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance,

David

Hey David, Trying to follow..?? were you looking for something a little wider and posibly shorter than the 275.???

If so with the backspaceing you have on the rims and the space you have on the inner and outer wheel wells a 295-50-15 is 26.8" tall rather than 28.0" as the 275 is and the 275-60-15 shows a section width of 11.0" and a 295 is showing 12.2. split the extra inch by the offset and that should leave you almost 1/2" left on inner and outers. the 295-55-15 you were mentioning is 27.6 " tall so not much lower than the 28. to start with but that 295-50-15 is lower and might be enough if thats what you were meening in your post..I also believe If memory serves me right Royce has those rims and offset as well on his gold 70 and might agree or set you straight....??? I had BFG 295-50-15 T/A's on my 72 monte that had a 5.5 backspace and no rubbing if that helps....

Darren

312.jpg

314.jpg

313.jpg

Thanks Darren,

I'm thinking the 295/55 would put a little more foot print on the ground and being just a hair shorter than the 275/60 would not make that big of a difference. MT is running way behind on the 275 production so I was looking for the best alternative. I still have a little life on my 275's now but a few more trips to the track and highway driving and they will be done. I have had them on the car for 2 Drag Weeks and lots of street/highway driving and a bunch of pass down the 1320. 295/50 would be to short.

I may go ahead and order the 295/55's and get them mounted before Drag Week this year.

Take care,

David

Thanks Darren,

I'm thinking the 295/55 would put a little more foot print on the ground and being just a hair shorter than the 275/60 would not make that big of a difference. MT is running way behind on the 275 production so I was looking for the best alternative. I still have a little life on my 275's now but a few more trips to the track and highway driving and they will be done. I have had them on the car for 2 Drag Weeks and lots of street/highway driving and a bunch of pass down the 1320. 295/50 would be to short.

I may go ahead and order the 295/55's and get them mounted before Drag Week this year.

Take care,

David

I have 295/55-15's on a 8" wheel with a 5" back space. My lips were trimmed for an earlier tire. I have plenty of clearance.

Thanks Greg,

I feel better now. the Moser housing is just a little bit wider and I'm thinking it will give me the clearance needed on the inner well and the b/s will give the clearance on the outer.

Take care,

David

Dave make sure you compare the total tire roll out verses the width. For example a 28" tire will have a typical roll out of about 88"....going to a 29" tire will be about 91.5"...so you're gaining 3.5" of total circumference. Going from say a 10" wide tire to a 10.5" wide tire you're obviously gaining 1/2" of width on the ground. Most guys will tell you roll out will trump width in most cases. A 29x10 will put more tire on the ground than a 28x10.5

Look at your trap rpm's and see where they are verses your ideal target first. Then do you need more rpm or less in the lights or is it good. If you think you could give up a few rpm then go taller with the same width (or wider if you have room). If you need more rpm then shorter will help that so go wider but you might need close to a 1" more width to make up for the less roll out depending on the size. If you want to keep your current rpm then same height and as wide as you can get....clear as mud???

Dave make sure you compare the total tire roll out verses the width. For example a 28" tire will have a typical roll out of about 88"....going to a 29" tire will be about 91.5"...so you're gaining 3.5" of total circumference. Going from say a 10" wide tire to a 10.5" wide tire you're obviously gaining 1/2" of width on the ground. Most guys will tell you roll out will trump width in most cases. A 29x10 will put more tire on the ground than a 28x10.5

Look at your trap rpm's and see where they are verses your ideal target first. Then do you need more rpm or less in the lights or is it good. If you think you could give up a few rpm then go taller with the same width (or wider if you have room). If you need more rpm then shorter will help that so go wider but you might need close to a 1" more width to make up for the less roll out depending on the size. If you want to keep your current rpm then same height and as wide as you can get....clear as mud???

Hey Davey,

It is very clear and I agree that more rollout will put more tread on the surface. MT website shows the circumference of both tires mentioned above as being 87", although 295/55 is 27.8" in dia as opposed to the 275/60 that measures 28". With that being said the 295/55 has an 1" more tread width than the 275/60. My car needs more trap rpm so with the 295/55 being a little shorter I might see some benefit.

As always Davey I appreciate your input as well as the others that have responded.

David

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey

Hey Davey,

It is very clear and I agree that more rollout will put more tread on the surface. MT website shows the circumference of both tires mentioned above as being 87", although 295/55 is 27.8" in dia as opposed to the 275/60 that measures 28". With that being said the 295/55 has an 1" more tread width than the 275/60. My car needs more trap rpm so with the 295/55 being a little shorter I might see some benefit.

As always Davey I appreciate your input as well as the others that have responded.

David

under that scenario that's what I would do too.... wink

I just put the MT 295 55 tires on a 15x8 rim with 5 inch backspace on my car. i trimmed the lips prior to me getting them and it turns out i only needed to trim my drivers side. They fit just fine though.

Dave,

I run 5.5 back space aluminum wheels. My rim screws are real close to the lower shock mounts I went with half nuts or jam nuts because of the screws slightly hitting the full size nut on the bottom mount of the shock.

That it what is odd Mike, the shock mount brackets/holes on the moser housing are positioned in such a way that I have a bunch of clearance between the inside of the wheel and the shock mount.

David

That it what is odd Mike, the shock mount brackets/holes on the moser housing are positioned in such a way that I have a bunch of clearance between the inside of the wheel and the shock mount.

David

same on my fab'd 9"....the shock mount is now actually at the back of the lower arm attach so there is plenty of room now...

20120411_114248.jpg

Davey, now that you have your fab'd 9" in. What are the pros & cons or are there any in your opinion? Aside from the one talked about(shock relocation) and the fact that it eliminates the c-clip axles using the Fomoco design. Not much in the way of improvement from here is there? Would a quick change rear end even be considered in this application?

If you go with 295/55/15 even with 5.5" of back spacing IMHO you are asking for trouble that is not worth the risk. A 275/60/15 is plenty wide with just enough clearance to be asured nothing will ever rub and cut a tire. If you just have to have more tire options just trim the wheel well lip and be done with it. Good luck.