back up hard drive

dave m

Hi my old computer crashed but I had tons of stuff on it so I thought I would us it for refrence and back up. I can add to it and get at what I added. but nothing that was existing, a friend who has some computer knowlage siad he believes it needs to be partioned ???? I bought the case and hook up from new egg and followed their direction but still nothing. I am no running the new windows 7??? program and my old hard drive was on windows xp I think the hard drive is abour 3 1/2" x about 5" I am not a computer person at all just look up,s /ebay / mostly basic stuff any help would be great

thanks dave

In what way did your old computer crash? Was it hardware or software? It is possible the information was wiped during the crash. The fact that it shows up on the new computer and you can write to it may mean that file association is gone and as far as the new comp is concerned there is nothing on the drive. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you out.

I was told it was the power supply. they wanted 250 to replace it. new computer was 350 and it is now 6 yrs newer . they want 100 to set up my old hard drive, the info on it is not that important but would be nice to have it back for a reasonable amount

I was told it was the power supply. they wanted 250 to replace it. new computer was 350 and it is now 6 yrs newer . they want 100 to set up my old hard drive, the info on it is not that important but would be nice to have it back for a reasonable amount

Hi Dave,

Do you know what wattage the power supply is? You can go to www.frys.com and order a new power supply for a reasonable amount and have it shipped to your door. It is fairly easy to install it, just a few screws and a few plugs.

Rick

My brothers DELL needed a power supply and changing it was as easy as changing an air filter HOWEVER it required you get one from DELL because I read DELL changed the wire placement from the standard configuration to a "DELL only" one. Replacing with the non DELL P/S would fry something.

Bruce

thanks but the comp was 6 yrs old anyway needed to get up and running quickly which is why I bought the new one. pulled the hard drive and some other pices and scraped the rest. the new comp is so much faster and has 3 times the space It is great to use something that is fast again.

dave