plug ends

monte70car

I would check here:

http://order.waytekwire.com/scategory2/M...d%20Connectors/

The dash connector appears to be pretty special, though. I assume you mean the plug that goes into the actual gauge cluster printed circuit board...

Hey Rob, did you not get a plug from Shawn with wires in it or just the plug.??

Darren.

Hey darren I will be getting the male end that plugs into the cluster, from it I'm planing on making a female end with wires coming out of it for a plug and play dash cluster swap. I have never seen a female plug carried for the dash cluster and I have never took on a project like this before. Most of the aftermarket dash you have to cut the end off and strip the wire down. My idea is simple or at least in my mind having the female plug I can leave the stock plug in place, pull the org cluster out put the aftermarket one in and if I deside to go back to the org cluster just plug the the end and make the swap. Like I said it sounds simple.

Hey Rob, ok i am following so far... And thinking more on this and other gm's from our era they all used the spring contact to go against the printed circut board in camaro chevelle monte nova etc... The other trick could be if you were handy dandy at electrical would be to splice in color coded wires to the printed circut board and then have them go into a plastic female plug from let say our automatic console wiring harnesses and the convert the factory male plug over to the male plug off of the console harness as well then you have both male and female plugs in GM plugs but not the one you are hopeing to create... Just a thought that way you have plug n play but at a skillfull challenge..

Just a thought as I cant think as to where else that factory plug off the cluster would have a match anywhere else on our cars or one of its cousins..

Darren.

Hang on even better yet use the plug with 6 inches of wire from Shawn and then leave that part plugged into the dash all the time and splice those wires into the console female plug and then there is your plug n play end with the other simple switch is the male end of the console harness to the male cluster harness end that way there is no soldering at all on the printed circut..

Darren.

Darren I see where you are going but in the long run that could cause an issue. I even played with the ideal of taken a old printed circut board where the plug goes in and molding it in the end I'm thinking of making. This is why I would like to do a plug n play option prdp_1734.gif

Darren I did take your ideal here is what I'm thinking 38725FL.GIF and then this plug to make it plug n play 38705FL.GIF. Then it would be the matter of getting the right connectors for the plug ends. The sad part is the min order for the plugs is more then I need frown. and it would cost me $30 or so to make the plug ends but I don't think 18ga wire will work for the main power wire.

Shawn I would think 6" or so would be enough. I should be able to order the dash in a few weeks or so. Once its order then it would be a week for them to put it together if its not in stock and then another week for shipping and probably another week for the install. In the worse case no plug in play but we will see if I can build the female plug for our style dash plugs, who knows there could be a market if it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...