Replacing rubber fuel related hoses 1971

Today I replaced all the (original 4 and the 5 that I replaced about 25 years ago) fuel tank rubber hoses. It's not a very hard job and it didn't take that long but I learned so much. One of the sections of hose, that goes up to the charcoal canister, has a yellow stripe on it. I was inspecting this original piece and noticed a hard section. I looked into the hose and found it was blocked. I cut the hose open and found this blue plug with a tiny hole in the center. I was ready to toss this section of rubber hose in the garbage but am very thankful I didn't! I added the blue plastic restricter to the new section of hose and found an obscure reference (in the form of a mark on the vent pipe hose (see picture) that looks like CD. Bottom line, if you own a 71, and you ever work on the rubber hoses going to the Separator ASM, look for this blue thing but DON'T TOSS it. Someone in the club may even need this thing for their car. This is on my 71 350 $BBL automatic built in May at Oshawa. I don't think 1970 had anything and 1972 may be different.

Bruce

71 FUEL TANK HOSES

I replaced the ones on my 72 a while back and don't recall this feature. Does anyone know if this applies to 72? I don't think it does as the diagram in my factory assembly manual looks different than the one shown.

I like MG do not recall anything in the hose when i took mine apart, ('72) however they were in pretty bad shape when i removed them. The fuel tubes were even rotted out, so i just chucked them.