which big block heads?

bobsmc

ipicked up an 86 454 big block for a project car im doing.i have been told to change to an early head for performance gain.

can someone tell me which casting numbers i would want?

also if anyone has a set of heads for sale ,pm me the details.

thanks.

bob

I have been told 336781 heads are a great set of early oval port iron heads (118cc chamber, 256/114cc ports), and that people are putting out pretty good numbers with them. I have a complete set in excellant shape but shipping would kill you. I pulled them off of my 454 so I could put on Brodix Race Rites. There is 1 other early set that I have been told are decent but I can't remember the casting number.

Mike

A good head choice will depend on many things, like the weight of the vehicle, gear ratio, what fuel you'll want to use, desired compression ratio, what rpm the engine will be running the majority of the time, etc.

I assume since you are thinking about iron heads, you aren't building it for a strip only car. For low end torque, the valves shouldn't be huge. Use the big valve heads for a motor that will need the flow at high rpm.

Dan