Fun with a bracket car!!!

dbreese

I was asked to drive my friends bracket car at a Summits points race. I jumped at the chance. Now understand the car is set up to run in the street class (12.00 or < in the 1/4)It is a 1982 Pontiac wagon with a 400 s/b chevy, th350, 12 bolt spool with 4.56 gears and 30x9 radial slicks. The car still has full interior and is all steel. The secondaries on the carb have been unhooked to slow it down.

Got to the track and made one qualifing pass. Dismal burnout lined up out of the grove. Starter lined me back in the groove. Managed to cut an .027 light horrible 60'(spun) 1.85. Car ran a 12.47. Well my pathetic .027 light got me the buy in E1.

We dialed the car for E1 at 12.25. This time when I went to make my run I smoked the slicks hard on the burnout. Staged the car in the groove cut an awful light (.145)but the car went a 1.62 60' and ran out the back at 12.16 at 108 mph. This was the first time I have ever launched a car and hung the front hoops(about a foot). That was a freaking hoot.

Next round we decided to dial the car at 12.20. Got matched with some guy that dialed a 16.90. Burnout was good staged the car, his light came down and 4.50 seconds later I launched the car to a 1.58 60' (wheels up baby) cut an awful light again (.245) and started the chase. Got to the stripe about the same time as my opponet but he got the win. I picked up my time slip and looked at the ET and was hacked!!! The car went 12.206. my R/T killed me and cost me round win.

Oh well I had a great time. My friend wants me to drive again at the next race. Staging this car and the Monte is way different. I told him with a little more seat time my R/T should be much better.

David

Sounds like my kinda fun. Kinda tough jumping into someone else's car or any car that you are not used to racing with and getting a good reaction time out of it on the first few runs.

I never have bracket raced. You done better than I would do. Sound like that car would be a lot quicker. hehehe

Yep Jared,

Before they slowed the car down it was running 11.30's on a poor tune. Some people/racers don't like bracket racing. May not be as exciting as heads up racing but it is tougher than it looks to the casual observer.

I forgot to mention that the car has manual steering so ya got to have little more input to get the car to move while going down the track plus ya gotta use a little muscle when maneuvering through the pits with the spool. The car really is easy to drive. They have worked the transmission governor so once the burnout is done just put it in drive and stage. The car shifts at 6500 and goes through the traps at about 7200. It sounds so sweet!!

Yep Bill,

I think with a little more seat time I should get a handle on it.

David

bracket racing is way harder than it looks, especially if you're not dialing it a half second slow and using your fenders. you need a very consistant car and a very consistent driver....well you had one out of two Dave.... grin (don't I know, I'm in the same boat).....

bracket racing is way harder than it looks, especially if you're not dialing it a half second slow and using your fenders. you need a very consistant car and a very consistent driver....well you had one out of two Dave.... grin (don't I know, I'm in the same boat).....

You are so right about the driver. crazy We are going to try and hit a t&t before the next race so I can get figure the cars sweet spot in the beams. Hope you are having a good season Davey.

Take care,

David