Engine / Exhaust Poppin: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

gprimm

I think that cap and rotor kit (Accel:GM HEI - Red - part # 8141R) would be much better if in fact.. had it been molded from mica-filled & glass-filled polyester rather than a cheap run of the mill plastic the dielectric strength of the cap would be much better. I'm sure it's not long before they get wind of the inferior quality of the "Cap" material and they come out with a better cap. Maybe the problem lies in the crossover terminal encapsulation within the cap, it is in fact a congested area as Mark points out. It's funny that a Co. as big as Accel would fly on the cheap and not invest more into R&D. frown

I have had the Accel cross over cap on my 72 since Dec of 2011 and have had no trouble with it. The car went to last summers Eastern Meet in GA and performed flawlessly. I remember my son in-law telling me they had some serious problems with the cross over caps back in 06.

I have had the Accel cross over cap on my 72 since Dec of 2011 and have had no trouble with it. The car went to last summers Eastern Meet in GA and performed flawlessly. I remember my son in-law telling me they had some serious problems with the cross over caps back in 06.

I wonder if I got an "OLD" one? Like to hope they worked the bugs out & offer a revised/re-engineered cap now. Hey Larry, how about if you sell me yours since its been tested & works great? grin I have to make up another set of wires now, the first set I cut & fit to this corrected cap cry

I bought my Accel "corrected" cap this time last year. It worked for a couple of hours and then went bad. PUt on the old one and it was fine. When I looked in it, the top of the cap is filled with an epoxy, as if it was encapsulating the the internal wires used to make it work, but that's my guess. I spent the $$$ cuz it does look so much better and so easy to do the wiring!!!

Just get a MSD or Pertronix distributor and cap or cap only and call it a day. Forget Accel all together. It's cheap($) for a reason. - Dave