Back on the road after 20 months

Yeah, I'm slow but finally today I was ready to go for a test drive after my differential overhaul/undercarriage spruce up and rear suspension upgrade. Actually it is not really an upgrade yet, other than the stuff being new or refurbished. I still have to throw on the new swaybar on those boxed LCAs for full effect, but it is drivable and I wanted to have the memory of a recent drive without the sway bar to see if there is a noticeable difference.

After I filled the front bowl, she fired up right away. Went for a 14 mile drive, took it easy, letting everything work itself in. I'm going to double check the diff fluid level tomorrow and go for a longer ride. During the reassembly I had some challenges with the brake line connections leaking so ended up having to drain the system, bench bleed the master cylinder, etc... Works fine now but got that anoying "brake" light in the dash. In the past it has gone away. Anyone know how to help that plunger recenter itself or is there a chance it will eventually go away?

In order to get the brake light to go off you'll need to re-balance the spool. After you have a good solid brake peddle, you can do this by first opening one of your bleeder screws. Have a helper push the peddle down until the light goes off. If the peddle goes to the floor, and the light stays on, close that bleeder and repeat the procedure on the other end of the car. As soon as the light goes off close the bleeder. That should re-balance the spool.

Doesn't it feel great to get to drive it after all that hard work? I take it everything worked well other than the brake light issue...

In order to get the brake light to go off you'll need to re-balance the spool. After you have a good solid brake peddle, you can do this by first opening one of your bleeder screws. Have a helper push the peddle down until the light goes off. If the peddle goes to the floor, and the light stays on, close that bleeder and repeat the procedure on the other end of the car. As soon as the light goes off close the bleeder. That should re-balance the spool.

No joy so far, at least not with the engine off but that process sounds logical to me. Thanks. Will be going for another test run later today.

Originally Posted By: cbolt
Doesn't it feel great to get to drive it after all that hard work? I take it everything worked well other than the brake light issue...

You bet although I will admit that I'm always nervous on the first run, listening to every sound and wondering what it is and what I could have messed up. I heard a weird sound at one point and was concerned until I realized it was from a nearby train lol.

So far so good other than the brake light and minor stuff.

Yeah but this is just the latest sitting, there have been numerous ones before that, like the bodywork sitting, then the left home and couldn't take her with me sitting, then the reunited let's overhaul the engine and do interior refurb sitting, then the front suspension overhaul and other assorted snowball projects sitting and some other small ones I am probably forgetting. I'll admit they don't total up to 23 years... I've only owned it for 24 shocked.

Its gotta feel good to get it back out now enjoy it for a while before you start the next project.

It does thanks and I hope to do exactly that, I've finally been able to clean up the garage and put all my "project in work" stuff away and I don't want to see it anytime soon... until I get the bug again grin.

For the brake light issue, I had enough of it, my cheap "fix" is to pull the plug from the proportioning valve, insert a fitted piece of heat shrink tubing on the pin and reinstall the plug - light is now out. It's going on my list of defered defects and I'm going to look at it again when I change the brake fluid next time, probably in two years time.