AM to AM/FM stereo speaker wiring conversion

jja

My 70 MC came with a factory Delco AM radio with two speakers in front and one speaker installed in the rear. I found a Delco factory AM/FM stereo (out of a 75 Nova) that seems to fit and am in the process of stalling it. I found another identical 6X9 speaker to match the existing rear speaker. So now I need to either run another wire for the new rear speaker or split the two stranded existing wire and ground each rear speaker to the rear body frame. Question I have is how do I interconnect the new speaker into the existing wiring I have for the AM radio and incorporate the fader switch? Any ideas, especially with pix or diagrams, would help.

Just to be clear.

You are replacing your AM only Delco radio with a AM/FM Stereo radio? If this is the case, the wiring harness from the AM radio will not work with the AM/FM radio. The stereo radios use a 9 pin plug vs. a 6 pin for AM radio. The same is true for a AM/FM Mono vs. a Stereo radio.

Doug

That is exactly what I propose to do. The stereo radio I have has the 9 pin plug that attaches to the rear of the radio. The wires protrude about 2 -3 inches from the plug. There is a Yellow (12 V), Grey (light for dial), 2 separate wires for the LF & RF, two separate wires for the LR & RR, and a few black ground wires. I intend to cut the wires from 6 pin plug about 3 inches back of the plug and then try and adapt these additional wires to each new speaker. I am just trying to figure out how to account for the fader I currently have on the factory speaker setup. I know what it does (rear to front), but I haven't figured out whether to run a new two strand wire to the additional rear speaker or just split the existing two strand wire that already goes to the factory rear speaker. I'm sure someone has doen this before.

"the fader I currently have on the factory speaker setup"

So this is an external dial type device mounted someplace on the / under the dash? I thought I remembered the AM/FM stereo's have a Ft to Rear fader built in so I would eliminate the separate one you now have and run all new wires.

Bruce

So you have 4 single speaker wires and 4 ground wires right? You should be able to just extend two wires from the harness to your new 6x9 and you will be fine. That way you will still have your side to side balance in the rear. One colored wire and one ground wire for each speaker. Find the wire that's for the speaker you are adding whether it's lr or rr and run extension wires accordingly.

I did not consider the possibility that the fader control function might be built in on the radio. Probably another metal sleeve around the right tuner control stem? The fader control I have been attempting to describe for the factory AM only radio is cuplike, slides onto the right tuner stem before you attach the actual knob, and is joined within the dash housing to three other speaker wires. This may be simpler if the fader is built in. I am hoping to realize the full stereo effect and thus, want to wire this radio to all four speakers in the most accurate way possible.

I did not consider the possibility that the fader control function might be built in on the radio. Probably another metal sleeve around the right tuner control stem? The fader control I have been attempting to describe for the factory AM only radio is cuplike, slides onto the right tuner stem before you attach the actual knob, and is joined within the dash housing to three other speaker wires. This may be simpler if the fader is built in. I am hoping to realize the full stereo effect and thus, want to wire this radio to all four speakers in the most accurate way possible.

If you have a four channel radio then it should have a balance function(left to right) and a fader function(front to rear) already incorporated in the head unit. You should not have to ground any speaker wires to the body, but ground them to the ground wires from the unit itself. Each speaker should have two wires coming from the head unit. You say there are a few ground wires correct? One of those should be thicker than the others. The thicker one should go to the body to ground the head unit and the other two you can use for the left and right speaker channels.

Thank you a lot.

There always seesm to be a few guys (and gals) who know exactly how to troubleshoot these minor details. Will reply back to let you know how things worked out and what I learned.