1970 AM/8track radio speakers???

Ok

I am certain that my 70 monte which still had the original am/8track had only one rear speaker. My buddy confirmed that he had also removed an am/8track from a parts car that also had only one rear speaker.

Is there anyone on this site that can comfirm this setup from a survivor car that still has the setup in it??

Thanks

Tim

Right rear speaker?

This was very common in the 60's-70's especially on the non AC cars that only had the center front speaker and instead of having a balance control I believe it had a front to rear fader control. It probably was a Mono system. The stereo systems on AC cars had two front and 2 rear speakers with fader.

Yup, was a factory mono system. If the car has factory a/c it would get 2 speakers up front and one in the right rear. If no A/C it got one center speaker up front and one in right rear.

My car had a/c. I can't remember what the speaker config. was in the front, but I seem to think it had two in the front and one in the rear.

Have you guys had personal experience with a car setup like this?

I would think the am/8track was a mono system?

:P Just parted out a 70 with factory AM/FM dual frt speakers single rear speaker. Have a 70 with 34k orig miles has factory AM/FM/Stereo has dual frt speakers and dual rear speakers. And I am fairly sure AM 8 track would be factory dual frt speakers and single rear speaker, and have seen AM with factory rear fader, single frt and single rear speakers

The fader was not a seperate option, it was just part of the included hardware when you ordered a rear speaker, (which has it's own option code). That way Chevrolet didn't have to produce 2 different versions of the AM, AM/FM non stereo or AM/8-Track radios. One for the rear speaker and one without.

All the AM/8 track sytems I've seen or heard of were stereo systems and had 4 speaker systems. Even the 70 owners manual calls it Stereo Tape System. I looked at a 70 AM/8 track I have and it says Stereo on the plastic face plate. Anything could happen on the production line, but a non stereo 8 track would be an oddity. Tim, does your AM/8 track face plate say Stereo on it?

Steve

My original radio was stolen out of a storage facility back in 1987. My friend that now has the car parted out a monte with the same system. He told me he still has the radio. He said it only had one speaker as well. He is working mandatory overtime since december at his work and has very little time but I will see if he can find time to find it and look at it. My car also only had one speaker in the rear. That is the way I remember it because I thought it was odd.

My car has the AM/FM radio (standard, not stereo) and has a right rear speaker. smile With the speaker grill covering the speaker.

Hope this helps.

Jared

Have him look at the radio and see if there are markings stamped into the chassis showing the connetions for the plug. It would show which plug connection is 12 volt, ground, speakers, etc. It will show how many speaker leads there are and where they go. As you said, it's odd. May have been a mistake on the production line or the radio was changed to the AM/8 track long ago and just hooked to existing wiring. I added 8 track and cassette players to many of my cars back in the 70s and 80s without worrying about factory looking wiring. Anything is possible.