Power Window Harness Holes

I really need the exact hole sizes for the PW Harness from the door to the cowl. Does anyone have a book stating the sizes? I know about the prick punch marks. I did my 71 Monte 24 years ago and did this install. Problem is I was 42, now I'm 66. Can't remember.

Carl

Bob I really think those sizes are too small. Where they for 69-72 or 66-67. Their is a difference. I believe Scott has the right measurement. I do remember that they were 2 different sizes but not smaller then 2". We will find out. Thanks.

Carl,

Assuming you have a vernier or dial caliper, the best bet would be to measure the diameter of the bottom of the groove on each end of each accordian grommet. I remember clearly that the driver's side requires a larger diameter in the cowl than the passenger side. I believe mine measured 2 1/8" on the driver's side and 1 7/8" on the passenger side. If I was in Florida, I would check the sizes of the two hole saws I purchased for that job because they were an exact fit. But, again, your measurements are the correct ones for your installation.

If you can't cut a hole very close to the size of your grommet groove, it would probably be better to go an eighth smaller than to go larger. Although there are also two tabs on the grommet that can be screwed to the cowl, a loose fitting grommet is more likely to leak. It would be very easy to expand a slightly smaller hole to a perfect fit just by dressing the edge of the initial cut with a die grinder.

Sounds like you've done this before but I will also send you an email with an attached document that Rainer sent me with general instructions on installing power windows in "A Body" cars. It was a great help to me even though it was not Monte specific.

Good luck!