Hi i'm lee_lee

leelee

Need to ask some questions about the dash not the pad. I sandedn the wholle dash off and cleaned it. then i sprayed it with the plastic addhiesive and waitd abot 10 min, and then sprayed wih sims color black for platics, I let it set for a day or so and then sprayed with clear coat. But is scratching real easy. What else cani do?

my latest experience with paint has taught me that bomb can paint just does not harden like automotive paints do.

i would spray it with 2k primer and then some single stage paint.

the hardener in the primer and paint will make all the difference.

jmo

I just finished my 4th dash in SEMS and never had the problem that you are experiencing. I wonder if the clear is softening the SEMS paint?

I always scrub down the part to be painted with a nail type scrub brush using SEMS soap, then spray down with SEMS plastic prep,let dry then paint. Cleanliness is the key.

I think thats whats happening because seems the finish is soft. So do i need to use some paint thinner to clean all that off with. To try to sand it more sems to makes it smear more than anything. My first time.

Couple of thoughts...

Sanding a dash you will generally only hit the tops of the textured surface-have you used scotchbrite.

Is the clear also a SEM product.

What did you clean dash with prior to paint. I use acetone before spraying plastics.

Wait a few days after painting before testing adhesion, and get some heat into what your painting before you paint it.(ie: halogen light or heat gun)

I have had bad luck clear coating both clean metal parts and spraying over metal parts that were recently painted.

Good luck

Carl

Thank y'all very much the help. One more question (this time) can i use paint thinner to remove the paint that on there now then take the steps you suggest?

If possible, I would get the dash into a blasting cabinet and blast it with glass bead to remove all the clear and paint. Then start over. This will be the easiest way to remove the clear/paint.

IMO if you have done the work and you are happy with the results except it seems to scratch easy I would give it a little time. I was unhappy with the results of rustoleum on the inside of the door and on the floor boards because it seemed to be soft. Once it cured for about a week it was hard as a rock