Motor build for my 70 Monte

Rooster

I had a us body source 2" cowl pin on hood on my 71 that I liked didn't have any problems with it... Also has us body source heavy duty glass fenders but they took me about 8 hours each to hang and get looking right... It sucked lol

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a US body hood and would never! buy another from them, the passengers side is too narrow so the hood to fender gap is about 1/2", yet it fits around the headlight extensions good so it can't be moved to tighten the gap, and the drivers side gap is good too

• 1 month later...

Here I go again, selling the new Profiler/Schmidt heads and intake if anybody is looking... Just picked up some CFE/BMF heads that are a little bigger. Think I'm going with a Tall deck Dart 4.60 block set up for .904 lifters and billet mains, Callies Magnum crank 4.75 stroke, Oliver rods, Comp Solid roller, and another Profiler intake. 632 cid 10.5-1 compression pump gas monster. I may end up with a little less stroke but not much, trying to build a torque monster!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have decided to go with a longer stroke (4.625) and a tall deck so they are a little short for me, depends on stroke and piston. I have them listed with a pic on race junk for $975. but I will sell them to someone here for $900, not a big difference but that is what I paid for them. I had a friend that worked for Oliver and that's how I got them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so here I go again, this is the plan and I'm sticking to it this time!

This is what I have so far;

BMF 350 heads

Jerry Arnold port work

2.30” Del West titanium intake valves

1.88” Manley Extreme Duty Stainless exhaust valves

PAC 1300 Springs

PAC 600 Series Tool Steel Retainers

T&D Shaft Rocker system

Edelbrock Super Victor II Intake

Callies Magnum 4.625"Crank

This is what is left;

Dart Big M Block Billet mains .904 lifter

Diamond Pistons 4.60” (on order)

Callies H-Beam 6.7 Rods

Comp Cams Solid Roller

Isky Red Zone Solid Roller lifters

I plan on running an electric water pump and fans, manual brakes and manual rack & pinion steering. I will have 1 belt for the alternator. I'm going to run a custom 4-link with a Ford 9" TH400 trans and tube A-arms, hope to be able to run a 11.5"-12" tire. I also plan on keeping the stock bench seat and shift on the column.(don't want to get to crazy) I may even add a little spray later down the line if I want a little more (200-300 hp shot) I hope to have it done by around this time next year, would make a nice Christmas gift for me...

I love tubbed out cars, especially 1st Gen Monte Carlo's. But I want to keep it as inconspicuous on the outside as possible. I'm sure I will have to open up the wheel wells but don't want to notch the frame unless I have to. Now with the tire compounds they have I don't think you need the big tires that you use to. A friend of mine (Kyle Kirker, New Era Race Craft.com) has a 55 Chevy with a small block and a F-1 on it and he has ran 8.002 on a 11.5 tire. Different animal than what I'm building but I'm hoping to make it hook. He is putting together my suspension.

I pulled all of the heater/air stuff out, I will be going to a fiberglass hood and maybe trunk lid and different brakes all around, also manual rack an pinion and manual brakes and tube front A-arms. So there is nothing under the dash and I will be using a fuel cell. Any other ideas are welcome.