Motor build for my 70 Monte

Rooster

Well today I slid the frame out from under the body. At the risk of sounding like a kid, it was pretty cool. I have never done that before. So now I will start pulling the frame appart and maybe start some of the body work.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Need to start thinking about a cowl hood! My 4150 on a Vic Jr just fits.

This is true. I know that Sniper Jr. is a nice piece, but it's not going to fit under a stock hood, this is why I stuck with the Victor Jr. and a Induction Solutions Fogger set up. Wanted to keep the stock flat hood.

Need to start thinking about a cowl hood! My 4150 on a Vic Jr just fits.

Or modifying a stock hood, here is a prime candidate in your neck of the woods. Dont get much cheaper than this, and it looks pretty nice

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/3551616346.html

That is cheep. After setting the carb on the intake I'm sure it will not fit under the hood. Well today my son and I pulled the suspension off of the frame so it will be ready for sandblasting. I also discovered that the stock stereo has an 8-track player, thats cool. I think I will be selling some things like the complete air conditioning system, control arms, cruse control and the complete 402.

a>

a>

a>

Dominator carb with Victor Jr, or 454R and stock hood go by by. Trust me on this. I measured it and then tried it with my stock hood way back when and it wasn't even close. With a 4" cowl hood I had room for a 2" HVH carb spacer, 3" tall 16" air cleaner assembly with room to spare. Now I want a cruiser motor with a hydraulic roller cam, 850 carb, Eddy air-gap intake, heat, and air conditioning. Go figure. I must be getting old.

I will be looking for a good fiberglass 4" cowl hood.

I don't know if I should go with the "stock" type rear end set up or coil overs, but thats down the road. Guess I need to get the engine together first... Man, I got a lot of things to do.

Glasstek will be your best bet for your cowl hood. I don't know them personally, but folks here swear by them. I have a 4" VFN bolt on hood. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to those folks for a bolt on hood. Maybe a pin on is different as a lot of racers use them. VFN wouldn't even work with me when my hood came out of the crate warped. Live and learn.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well got out this weekend to work on the car, decided that I'm NOT a body guy so I'm going to have to farm out some (maybe all) of the body work. That stinks but it will save me money, frustration, and time in the long run and I will end up with better results...

• 1 month later...

Well, the wheels (in my head) are spinning again. I'm thinking about selling the ZL1 block and going with something bigger, maybe a 4.5 bore and a little more stroke. I'm not really looking to make more H.P. so much as bringing the peak H.P. down in the RPM range and picking up more Tq. I think this would give me more longevity and wouldn't have to work the motor as hard. The only bad thing is that ZL1 has kind of a "cool" factor to it, at least for me, and I would go to a iron block because of the $$$ factor. (I shouldn't have went to the track last night)