Pulled Tranny and WOW!

dbreese

Went and pulled the transmission today to get the converter out to send for a re-stall. Drained the pan fluid looked good. Pulled the pan and all was good no clutch material or metal shavings.

Dropped the transmission and this is what we found. Crack started at the parting line and continued down but stopped just short of fluid line boss.

broketranny.jpg

Man did I get lucky. I went to the track this pass Sat and made three passes. All was good and the car was a hun quicker in the 1/4 and 2 hun quicker in the 1/8. If the bell would have given up it would have taken out the pump, converter and possibly the entire transmission.

The trans guy has some good 350 cores so we are going to pull the guts out of the old trans and install them in the core. We are going to modify the front portion and install a JW Ultra Bell (SFI cert)and this won't happen again.

Glad I was able to catch it. My guess is with all the twisting of the chassis over the years ( before suspension upgrades) weakened it. BTW I run solid engine mounts and a rubber trans mount.

David

Time for a J&W Bellhousing. After multiple Bellhousing cracks very similar to that, I bought one.

Hey Todd,

That is the plan. Got one being sent out now. Did yours crack in about the same place? Did you have any fittment issues once the bell was installed and ya went to put the trans back in? I spoke with Crazy Davey and he said he had one split in about the same location.

Thanks,

David

I had a crack in one at the same spot on a 400. When Rossler did my 400 I had a JW ultra bell installed. It is a really nice piece and the trans installed easily. The flanges are a little thicker but the bolts can be accessed. I went with the bell and a blanket because I did not think a shield would fit.

I had a crack in one at the same spot on a 400. When Rossler did my 400 I had a JW ultra bell installed. It is a really nice piece and the trans installed easily. The flanges are a little thicker but the bolts can be accessed. I went with the bell and a blanket because I did not think a shield would fit.

Thanks Mike,

Do you street/hwy drive your car with a blanket?

David

David I had several crack in just about the same place. One of them was almost completely all the way around. Seems like the more power and traction the car got the worse the problem was. I didn't have any fitment issues with the exception of the top 2 Bolts now need to be removed from the top because I can't get at them from the bottom anymore. That issue is partially due to the fact of solid motor mounts not allowing the motor to hang down as much.

congrats on your latest failure! That is a pretty cool one I think smile I have seen several fail like that. Before I read your last sentence, I figured you were using a solid tranny mount which will break a tranny pretty quickly. Very impressive you are breaking them with your setup--lots of powa! Those JW bell housings are awesome, you will like that! AND, isn't it nice when life smiles on you and lets you find the problem BEFORE you have to pick up pieces of the problem that were exploded all over the drag strip!

Thanks Guys!!,

I hope to have everything back together before Feb 9th. They have an event at my home track (SGMP) called "Pony Wars". Lots of new Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and some old school stuff, no imports allowed! Cars must have current tags and insurance. It is a fun event, grudge racing till 1:00 then brackets divided into 13, 12, 11, and 10 second range.

Hope to be able to post up new best after the re-stall on the converter. 700 rpm should make a big difference at the launch and in the shift recovery.

I'll keep ya posted.

David