Shifter cable/rod 72 Custom. Please Help!

Nikki

Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my car, and i was wondering if you can help me.

I was driving my car just fine, on the freeway and then there was heavy traffic. bumper to bumper. Silly me, I thought if I just stay in 1st gear, I might save gas..

**Before i continue, my car has the shifter on the floor, between drivers seat and passenger. Its automatic, with a horseshoe shifter. It has 1, 2, 3, N,R, P. (bottom to top)There is no D. #rd gear works as D. No need to up shift or down shift. **

Anyway I slide the horseshoe down to 1st, and notice i don't feel the gears kick it. so I shift up back to 3rd, and again, I didnt feel the gears kick in. No jump, nothing.

As I'm accelerating, i dont feel my car kick into the next gear... instead of the you know, vroooom...clicks to 2nd. vroooooom, then 3rd, vrooom... it was just vroooooooooooooooom... I'm stuck in 1st gear! (lol)

. So I exit and pull into a parking lot off the freeway. I shift to P, and my car is still moving. i shift to reverse, and im still going forward in 1st gear. i go back to P, and turn off the car. still moving down hill. so i have to park it with the emergency break. When I start my car, it will only start if im in P (as usual) but when it starts, it kicks forward and drives in 1st gear. , Don't matter if im in P, R, N, 3, 2 1... Luckily I made it home, and my poor baby has been sititng on my drveway since. What could it possibly be?

Im thinking shifter cable... But is it shifter cable, or shiffter rod? And which one exactly? Please help, its my daily driver!

Here's more info...

'72 Monte Carlo Custon

engine 402 6.6L

tran 350 turbo hydra matic

4 barrel carb

automatic, and shifteris on the floor between driver and passenger seat. I can upload pictures, if it helps

-Nikki

It uses a cable which is attached to the shifter and the to the trans. Most likely the trans could have a burnt clutch(first and reverse use the same clutch) or the cable could have come unhook in low(1st). I would check the cable both inside the car and under the car to see if the cable came unhook or broke. As for a brunt clutch you would need to smell the trans fluid for a brunt smell and it wouldn't hurt to check the trans fluid level as it could be low. With a big block the best way to save gas is easy on the throttle pedal.

shifter cable, look at where it hooks to the trans to see if there is any issues, next.....if that's not the problem, pull the console top plate off and check where it attaches to the shifter

I dont think there is any problem with your tranny. I agree with the cable being your problem . Hopefully its as simple as it came unhooked from either end and didnt actually brake the cable . Also the outer cable attaches to a bracket with 2 bolts to the trany pan rail . IT could have come off there. If it's like my 70 and has the "backdrive " mechanism still in place, You might be able to shift it into park by grabbing the shift bowl on the steering column and rotate it .

"Backdrive" = the linkage from the trans to the steering column . It works just like a column shift to make the shift lock with the steerign wheel lock .

"shift bowl" = the aluminum housing just below the ignition key housing , where the column shift would normally be located.

My 72 has a problem with the shift cable. The 'Backdrive' does still work on these. Try changing gears from the column. If that works then you know without a doubt it's a broken cable.

Awesome, thanks everyone. Gonna check it out. Hopefully the cable. just came unhook, that way i wouldn't have to buy another. If only i was that lucky. Haha. Will update. I might double check with. ya'll for the correct cable, if necessary. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! Good to go, Bracket just needed to be reinforced, and need some bolts. It's been crazy windy and cold here in EP so i've been taking forever to get under my hood. But its been taken care of since friday, and it feels so good to have my baby back, now to concentrate on the body! thanks again guys