Mystery wire plug

jja

While removing the dash for another reason, I came across an unused plug that made me wonder what it is intended for. It has light blue, yellow and orange wires going into a single plug. It seems to be wrapped with the wires that turn on the dome light when you open the doors. I wonder whether it is for the under dash courtesy light option but question why it would have so many wires. I have most of the other options on my 70 (defogger,A/C, etc). Any ideas?

Yes, I had a factory AM radio with a fader that I replaced with a factory Delco AM/FM stereo from a 75 Nova. I don't think either used that three wire plug. Both had their own harness but I will double check to verify that the Am radio did not have a three wire plug. The plug (as opposed to radio harness)has two ports that are parallel and one that is aligned across the top.

I found this light blue / Yellow / Orange connector attached to my 71 NON A/C heater FAN switch. Does it look like what you have?

Bruce

71 Heater Fan Switch wires PICTURE

While removing the dash for another reason, I came across an unused plug that made me wonder what it is intended for. It has light blue, yellow and orange wires going into a single plug. It seems to be wrapped with the wires that turn on the dome light when you open the doors. I wonder whether it is for the under dash courtesy light option but question why it would have so many wires. I have most of the other options on my 70 (defogger,A/C, etc). Any ideas?

Take a look at the plug shown in the upper right corner of the second wire diagram photo below. It has Yellow, Lt Blue and Orange wires and is labeled "HEATER RESISTOR". I don't see any other three-wire plugs with that color combo in either photo but maybe you can spot another one.

P1042138.jpg

P1042139.jpg

Note that the courtesy light circuits (convertible only) are shown at the far right and left of that same photo and do not seem to physically connect with any of the three plug wires (although the wires may be bundled with other wires in that area).

Instead, the diagram shows the three wires going directly to a 5-wire plug labeled: "HEATER CONN" (heater connector?). Unfortunately, I haven't a clue when, why or how that "Heater Resistor" plug is used unless there is, in fact, a heater resistor somewhere that the plug should be on.

Getting closer. It is not related to the stock radio because that has a harness not a 3 wire plug. Seems that it could be the heater. It would be long enough to reach behind the heater control.

I have not been able to check the operability on the Ac because the clutch on the compressor is broken (that is another fix down the road). However, I have used the fan to get the heater to work during cold days here in Sacramento. I will explore behind the AC/heater control to see if the plug inadvertently came off something back there. You guys are really a big help troubleshooting this.