Key stuck in switch. '72 Monte Carlo

Drew

This morning when I cranked my car up the the key turned all the way to the back and wouldn't start. The key then clicked a few times and turned freely. Now the key is stuck in the switch and nothing will work properly. I can turn the key just fine but can't turn it all the way back to take the key out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Well, of course I'm guessing here but based on what you’re describing I have a couple of thoughts. If you have no starter function here is where you could start looking for the problem.

1. The plastic gear on the end of the pin that operates the starter switch rod has stripped. It engages a rack and as the key is turned, it pulls the rack connected to the rod going to the switch on the lower column. If the gear strips it will bind not allowing the key to return to the proper position to remove it.

2. The starter switch has failed in some way causing it to bind preventing the switch from returning to the lock position. Therefore the key cannot be removed.

I would remove the two 3/8 or 5/16 screws holding the starter switch to the column and see if the key will rotate to the lock position. This will tell you if the switch is bad or if you have a bigger problem in the column it’s self with the gear and rack.

So far it seems as if the actuator rod is jammed. It doesn't feel like it is going far enough and my key still won't come out. We got it out last time by wiggling it and it finally decided to turn all the way back.

Sounds to me as though it's not your ignition switch attached to the bottom of the steering column. It sounds more like an internal issue with your lock cylinder. That will require removal of steering wheel, other related parts, and your lock cylinder. Just an educated guess based on your first post. Your not moving that car anytime soon. - Dave

In any case, it sounds as though the lock cylinder is either bad or something went wrong with the install. I would uninstall, inspect, and reinstall. I just did mine a couple months ago and everything is fine. I followed a youtube install video and was glad I did. - Dave

No, I just can't turn the key back into position to take it out but I can turn to where it's suppose to crank but doesn't. My friend says try greasing up the rod and see if it feels like it becomes unstuck but that is all I can think of right now...

I agree with Robert, if it's a column shift car, lift the shifter towards park, if it's a floor shift car, grab the bowl (the piece where a column shifter would be) and twist it counter-clockwise then try to get the key out

I found out that it is something inside the column. There seems to be a gear or something with teeth that pulls the rod when the key is turned but it isn't catching the rod and is causing the key to get stuck. However, if I take the ignition switch off and push the rod manually it goes into the correct position when I turn the key. But when I put the ignition switch back on and turn the key it loses any grip it had and gets stuck again. Any ideas on how to fix this without getting a whole new column???

EDIT: Missed a word.

Update on my ignition:

I figured out that some teeth on the Ignition Gear Sector inside the steering column have broken off causing the rod to slip and lock the key into the key switch. I have also had issues with the lock bolt spring catching on the upper bowl when I go to remove it because the lock bolt is stuck inside the bowl. However, I found a kit at O'Reilly's Autoparts that has the spring, gear sector, a small screw for the spring, and the steering rack so I can replace all those parts at once after I get the bowl off.

Thank you all for your help and hopefully I will finally be fixing my car today.

Another update:

I got the lock bolt out but ended up bending it when I knocked it loose.

Next thing to do is to get a new lock bolt and place all the pieces back together.

One more update to complete everything:

Along with that gear sector breaking some teeth off my ignition switch had gone bad. I got a new one yesterday and I am now back on the road! Thank you everyone for your help.