Cowl on '70 SS

I bought a copy of the '70 Monte/Chevelle/ElCamino factory assembly manual on e-bay which is showing the outside drawing of the SS Monte as having a cowl induction hood, the drawing is from approx mid '69 and the technician's comments don't mention it as being cancelled or an option, therefore it was ment to be a standard production?? Is this an interesting subject and should I try to scan the page to this post or is there a simple answer to this?

Literature is written and printed before the final decisions on production are made. This is how the convertible care and use instructions made it into the 70 owners manual and a drawing of a 70 convertible made it into a pamphlet. It would be interesting to see this, but it doesn't mean it was available in 70.

Agree with Steve. Just because a company printed an ad isn't documentation that it was ever produced. Came across a '53/54 Ford at a car show it had power steering (looked orginial to me which doesn't mean anything other than what I thought). Asked owner if this was first year for a Ford with power steering. He agreed and showed me an ad that announced power steering on that year Ford. I accepted the option to be orginial based on how it appeared, ad wasn't documentation but supported the option as being original. Ed

LOL guys lol

It's actually the drawing of the chevelle SS while on the above page it was the Monte Carlo, so under above conditions I didn't notice I was not looking at the MC. :rolleyes:

hhhmmm how embarrassing... frown

In 70 a brother-in-law came over with his new car. It was a 70 Monty with a 350 and cowel induction. This was a factory instalation in a flat hood. I remember being amazed on how it worked.

he actaually had cowl induction installed on his car thats cool. Nowadays if you ask GM for a special option on your vehicle they would laugh at you not like back in the day you could have your car like a wopper any way you wanted it

Literature is written and printed before the final decisions on production are made. This is how the convertible care and use instructions made it into the 70 owners manual and a drawing of a 70 convertible made it into a pamphlet.

Yep. Man, wouldn't it be cool if some of the stuff that was proposed but never produced actually had been? As we have seen from cars that have been modified from coupes to convertibles - they really are beautiful. I'm glad that they nixed the idea of a FGMC 4-door, though. The Monte Carlo was a "personal" car, and making a 4-door out of it would have watered-down that image.

Dave

One thing that I did see for sure was a Cancelled idea of a washer system for the headlights lol yes I'm seroius and it was on a drawing of a Chevelle (don't tell me it was actually produced later nutz ).

Also cancelled for that year (1970) was the fluid monitor system, wasn't that actually an option for the Monte in '70 or was it applied later on '71?

One thing that I did see for sure was a Cancelled idea of a washer system for the headlights yes I'm seroius and it was on a drawing of a Chevelle (don't tell me it was actually produced later ).

Also cancelled for that year (1970) was the fluid monitor system, wasn't that actually an option for the Monte in '70 or was it applied later on '71?

If I remember right, head light washer was available on 69 Camaro. Both my 70 Montes have the washer fluid monitor system. Here's another odd one from the accessory brochure for 70 Chevrolet. "Liquid tire chain dispenser. Ideal for use on icy roads." Don't remember actualy seeing it on any cars.