Change gear ratio

Chevyss

Does anyone have a Monte w/273 gears and a 402? I changed from a 373 back to the stock gear 273 and was just curious how it will perform? I wanted something that will go out and cruise the highways. Thanks in advance

I'm looking to go the other way with gears. I have the 400 SB, not the BB. The 2.73's are great on the highway, I just feel it's sluggish around town. You'll definetly see an RPM drop. If you are interested in selling the 3.73's let me know.

Royce I'm the odd ball around here lol I got a 404 big block with a 700r4 and the 2.73 gears. It does get out of its way or at least my does. Which trans do you have a 350 or a 400? That will help mine had a 350 and a 400 and it ran good.

That will be a blast to actually drive places Royce. I had 2.73 gears with my 454 for many years and it had plenty of torque to get going, and the highway was actually pleasurable compared to my 3.55 gears currently.

My '70 SS actually has a 2.56 posi rear from the factory although some of the early versions tested had 3.31s. When I picked it up and drove it home (just across town), I never suspected it was such a low (numerically) rear gear. Apparently, the BBC torque and amplifying characteristics of the TH400 prior to lock up mask the expected sluggish feeling.

I have no doubt that acceleration would be and feel "quicker" with a higher ratio rear gear, but my SS will still squall both tires from launch at will and the low rpm cruising is much less stressful than in my 3.31 ratioed 402. I see no need to change what works well already.

I really want to do some serious cruising this summer and with the 2:73 gears it should do fine. Help on the fuel mileage also. Gonzo, if you want the gears we can make a deal. 3:73s and they have not been in the car very long. Someone installed a posi/locker unit in the factory carrier. Not sure if they are very good, but are noisy. We'll see how it goes. Cruising at 70 should be no problem. Thanks for all the info.