Spark Plug Failure

MGD72Monte

I've been having a hesitation issue at most speeds as well as idle. Problem more noticeable when accelerating and seemed to get worse when hot. While troubleshooting I noticed the pax side rear sparkplug is showing spark between the ceramic insulator and the hex nut metal portion. Probably my problem. Anyone heard of this? I will be picking up a plug to replace it, just want to know if there is possibly something wrong with the engine / ignition system that would have caused this or is this just a fluke failure. Plugs (Delco 44TS) are not that old but I recently removed them to check them.

Thanks

Still running breaker points and condenser, like me?

First ride of the year in 2010 the engine ran poor and was missing at WOT even backfiring through the carb. Checked the wires and all but two were reading in the "bad" replace zone (high resistance). New wires and plugs and it ran fine again. Wasn't easy finding stock looking black wires.

You may be able to see a crack in the porcelain or a carbon track inside the boot. The dielectric grease is a must to fight corrosion and not allow the boot to stick to the spark plug.

Agree with Sam and Scott here. Once you figure out the problem, always use dilectric grease on both ends of the plug wires. My grease actually has an extension to reach into the boots. - Dave

Thanks everyone,the ignition system is HEI and I thought I had enough dialectric grease but I'll make sure I put more. I won't get to this until next week to confirm, but I'll report back.