1970 MC questions

Kyle Turner

I just did a LS1 swap in my 1970 Monte. The motor, tranny, and the wiring and everything is perfect. Next step is to get some upgraded brakes, suspension, gauges, and just get everything right to be a good sleeper car on the street but a good daily driver, too. Any suggestions on some parts that I need to install?

Brakes look into 4 wheel disc give the old girl a modem braking system. Suspension there is alot of aftermarket other there and everyone has one's they like. Not sure how much your looking to spend but here is a nice kit from Hotchkis HSS-89001-2_ml.jpg price is almost $4k but you get both front and back suspension kits and tube style control arms for the front (upper and lower). For gauges you want to stay with a stock style or add gauges under the dash? I did a Dakota Digital gauge cluster in my and love the look cleaned up the underside of my dash and I can watch the trans temp.

That could be a long list.

I'd start with poly bushings in front suspension, new rubber bushings in back. New sport springs front & rear, and new shocks. Sway bars are a must (front & rear) if you don't have them already.

The brake issue was a debate for me: I felt the originals needed improvement, but couldn't decide if I wanted/needed rear disc setup or bigger front rotors, or multi-piston calipers...there are lots of options, and it's easy to spend money.

I ended up starting with a new Hydroboost brake booster for mine, and the difference was incredible. I really don't think I need any of that other stuff now.

Yea I was definitely going to do disc brakes all the way around. There are a few kits on e-bay that i have been looking at. You're right. Suspension is a difficult call. I can't decide what direction that I want to go. I do want to get a full kit so that I don't have to piece something together.

On the gauges, I have seen the Dakota Digital gauges. Where did you get yours from? I watched your video, they look awesome in there.

Yep. I went with Hydratech pn 3014. I bought it through Summit Racing.

FYI, disc brakes require higher pressure to operate than drum brakes do. Drum brakes by design are "self energizing" and disc aren't, so it takes a smaller master cylinder bore or more pedal pressure to make them work. I had a '70 Corvette with 4-wheel manual discs and they were terrible...you really had to stand on the pedal. This booster mod gives more boost than the stock setup, so it would probably work great with the 4 disc setup.

I understand that adding disc to the rear also pushes your tires outward 1/4" per side. Not a big number, but there isn't a lot of room for tire back there.

• 2 weeks later...

Try entering the part number in the Summit search box. (3014)

I went through the same thing, couldn't find it through a regular search, but the manufacturers web site said Summit was a distributor. If I remember right, the item comes up, but no picture is shown....you have to have faith. It fits fine.

• 1 month later...

I may be a bit late, but here are my thoughts:

BMR Suspension has complete kits for much less than Hotchkis, and they're extremely good to work with. Rich is their A-body guy, IIRC. All their stuff is made here, and the quality is top notch. Myself and a few other members have BMR stuff.

Here's a thread talking about what I learned from them.

BMR packages link

For brakes, Kore3 sells bolt-on kits to upgrade to C5 or C6 brakes all around. Tobin knows his stuff, and is also very helpful. I emailed him with a bunch of questions and he quickly replied with detailed answers.

Kore3 GM big brake kits. Lots of options.

Good luck with the build and let's see some pics! grin