emblems

Newbie here. Great web site with good info. Question, I have a 70SS454 with build sheet. I've owned it since 1975 and am the second owner. In the process of total resto. Mine has the SS454 emblems on the rockers and SS(chrome with white centers) in the rear center below truck lid. Car was built 9/69. Never seen one on other cars. Wondering if it's standard.

That's a pretty early build. The "SS" centered below the trunk lid isn't standard, but I suppose it was possible to have come from the factory that way, being that it is an early build '70 car. It may be more likely that the first owner added this to the car, but again it could've come from the factory this way.

When you're doing the restoration, check to see if the mounting of the "SS" emblem looks like factory work, or if someone took a drill and did the work themselves. Your description of the emblems sounds exactly like those used on the front quarters of '70 Chevelles -- like my '70 SS454.

My 70 SS454 Monte was built first week of December 1969 and I only have the rocker emblems. Never saw a Monte with an "SS" emblem centered under trunk unless it was added by a prior owner. They either use the SS Chevelle fender or grille emblems. I have seen many SS454 Montes that have also had the SS Chevelle steering wheel horn cover added to their car. Not original, but an attempt to announce to all of what lurks below the hood.

Keep in mind many people did this to help their cars stand out amoungst the half million other Monte's. Monte SS's had no hood scoop, no stripes, no major SS badging, no SS on steering wheel like the Chevelles. I am sure people who paid the money for an SS454 wanted people to know. This is probably the reason GM added the "SS" emblem below the Monte Carlo script under right side of trunk for 1971 Monte SS454's. See it in second picture on this link.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/tech/ss454.shtml

If restoring the car I would keep it off to be correct. Just my opinion.

Good luck with the resto. Any questions. Parts you are looking for etc......This is the place !!

Dan