hearing a loud bang when i turn the wheel...

Could be ball joints, tie rod ends. center link or idler arm. With the vehicle running get up underneath the front end and have a helper rock the steering wheel back and forth quickly. Look for lost motion at the center link, tie rod ends and idler arm. If all looks jack one side underneath the front control arm and use a pry bar or large screw driver and lift up on the tire. If the ball joints are bad you will hear a clunking noise and see the move spindle move up.

just a few suggestions.

David

As Dave said it's more likely a suspension problem than steering.

Also, I had a loose brake caliper once which made a clunk sound....

More places to look: Check the upper control arms where they enter the engine compartment, see if they are moving. I had a stack of alignment shims fall out and gave a bunch of slop in the bolts that are supposed to hold them firm against the frame.

Here is a picture: check for a gap here where they are showing shims under his thumb, there is a front AND rear bolt where shins might be. Also look at the bushings at the ends shown in the picture.. right where his hand is cupped underneath. There should be little/no movement when you steer back & forth.

72857.jpg

More places to look: Check the upper control arms where they enter the engine compartment, see if they are moving. I had a stack of alignment shims fall out and gave a bunch of slop in the bolts that are supposed to hold them firm against the frame.

Here is a picture: check for a gap here where they are showing shims under his thumb, there is a front AND rear bolt where shins might be. Also look at the bushings at the ends shown in the picture.. right where his hand is cupped underneath. There should be little/no movement when you steer back & forth.

72857.jpg

ditto I had the back shim pack fall out of mine a couple years ago I was thinking bushings but it wasnt. Look it over good you should be able to find it.