Cruise control and ride leveling.

Kliegl

From what we know at this point, the Cruise Control option could not be ordered along with the SS Option on the first gen Monte. The reason is as you stated, they both mounted in the same place.

That is not to say that a dealer wouldn't be tempted install one at the dealer location after they got it from the factory. After all, the dealers (salesmen) wanted to turn a buck and installing dealer installed options was one way they could bring in that extra cash.

Rob

The cruise mounts to the inner fender where the pump mounts and it was an either/or proposition as far as I can tell. I have a 70 SS and had a 70 with cruise. Both systems could not fit in the same space. I have never seen an SS build sheet with cruise listed on it. I have seen one dealer added set up on an SS at a NMCOA meet in 1989. It was mounted between the pump and the firewall on the left inner fender. It was a very tight fit and looked like an add on, but still worked at the time. It's possible there are more, but cruise was not a popular option in those years.

Steve,

I am guessing the 70 Monte Carlo SS that you saw at the Monte Carlo Nationals with the added on cruise control was my car (it is forest green with no vinyl top). As everyone has stated, you could not get cruise control on the car from the factory, but in the case of my car the original owner wanted it so he had it added after he got the car (actually I believe that he told me it was about a year later). It is a fairly tight fit, but I can tell you it is nice to have when you drive on the highway (it was great to use when I drove mine to the Monte Carlo Nationals in Nashville a few years ago). If anyone would like to see a picture of it, let me know and I can send it to you (or if someone can tell me how to add it to a posting I will give it a shot). Thanks.

Jim