1970 SS COPO

Murphy

Will be interesting to see i the guy comes through. Hope you get pics. From the post here I'm assuming you are saying that the 70 SS is the one that is suppose to have the 4 speed. As far as the LS6 I never heard of that being the engine that the 4 speeds where suppose to have been built. More on the lines of the LS5. More likely. Later RJD

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of the big things here and what might be ? forgotten is the main difference between Documented from the Factory which means the production plant and GM being the Dealer. The Dealer can install and un-install anything and it can still be called a Factory option… Just Dealer installed which is the key thing not Production plant installed. As mentioned in the past you can order a Monte with Power windows in 1970 and then 6 months later go to the GM dealer and have Power door locks installed. You now have as they say both Factory options just one is on the Production build sheet and the other is a Factory (gm dealer) ad on. Still both correct.

Now with the LS6 or the 454 4spd stuff like in the Dick Harrell or Jim Brady or whats printed in the 1992 Super Chevy Magazine these guys may have had 1970 Monte Carlo's with a 454 4spd but once again it is not Production produced it is an outside source weather it be COPO or Dick Harrell or Jim Brady these are alterations to give the Rare package and will come with a Build Sheet but the build sheet will be a COPO or Harrell or Brady "Package".

I believe you will never find or see a build sheet from a GM Production Plant anywhere that will say COPO or Harrell or Brady Package on it. GM may have worked out a deal with these outside entities but it is not installed at a GM Plant. this is my believe and my 2 cents for what it is worth.

You will find a GM Build sheet and you will get an accompany Build sheet from the other business's and thus have a Build sheet as they say but 2 separate one's.

Until I see or we all see a Factory Production Build Sheet from Atlanta or Flint or Van Nuys It does not exist except by alteration, no matter what Super Chevy or Team Chevelle or anyone else says. It will have to come from The GM Heritage Center in Detroit MI or The General Motors Corporation Home office for proof….

Darren.