Engine just stopped at 80mph

gprimm

While driving this afternoon on a trip going to meet a Derek Atteberry on a cruise, I felt a little hesitation and then the car has no power. I put it in neutral and glide to the shoulder. It cranks like a son-of-a-gun.

Son brings some test equipment and it seems there was power going to the MSD StreetFire distributor, but no spark to the plugs.

Have it home and think the distributor is the issue. One year old MSD. Wow, surprised there. GM HEI's seem to run forever. Might take the old GM and rebuild it using good stuff. Or just fix the MSD.

Also thinking about one of the "thin" HEI's so I can use a Pontiac dual-snorkel factory air cleaner that I have.

Very disappointed. Thank goodness for AAA and the free towing.

The roll pin at the bottom of the distributor shaft that holds the gear on the shaft may be broken or sheared off. Pop the cap off and see if the rotor turns while someone cranks it. If not, that's where I would start.

Good luck

Pull the cap and crank it over. If it not turning, pull the dist out and check the driven gear in the dist. If you mix a steel camshaft with an iron dist gear (and add 20-W-50 oil to make it worse) the gear/s will wipe out.

If you go back to GM HEI I would advise that YOU rebuilt it DON'T just get one already rebuilt at the auto parts store.

Bruce

UPDATE: Put in a new ignition module, coil and cap. Still no spark. There is 12 volts going to the coil and when starting it drops but not much.

Rotor turns when the engine turns over. So the timing chain (new) and the pin the distributor are good.

I am puzzled. Fuel is good as you can smell it.

And the answer is:

Stator !!! Replaced the module and coil and nothing. Took an old HEI apart to the Stator out, pulled the MSD apart and put the old Stator in and WE HAVE FIRE!!!!!!!

I think I am going to buy an HEI from Bill White in TN and have it in the trunk at all times. 10 minute switch if it ever happens again!!!

I think I am going to buy an HEI from Bill White in TN and have it in the trunk at all times. 10 minute switch if it ever happens again!!!

I put in the HEI from Bill White, can't beat it for the money!

DSCF1702_zpse458f20d.jpg