Best V-belt?

72 LS5

I believe I have Goodyears on right now, but they have that toothed inside. I'm getting a squeal at high rpms and I really don't want to tighten it any further. Everything seems to be turning freely and I have an oversized alt pulley. I'm blaming the belts......

I had a problem with top cog belts too with my alt located in the stock location, found a standard V belt and seem to cure it, I was throwing belts

I changed to a mid-mounted alt bracket which solved all my issues

I always had good luck with Gates Belts. I would still toss one every once in a while. I changed to serpentine belts and had better luck. I did not toss any belts his year and the the motor has been to 7k.

Alignment of the belts is important, too. The front belt is the easiest to check, you can use a straightedge placed across the lower pulley and see if the water pump and alt pulleys are located too far back, or at an angle to that lower pulley. I had to shim my water pump pulley outward .060 ..perhaps the pump flange was pressed on too far. I also found that the top of the alternator was leaning rearward and had to move the upper bracket a bit to get it straight.

Once I got the pulleys all pointing straight to one another, my belt issues went away.

• 3 weeks later...