Mechanical water temp gauge

laurent

Hi,

I bought an autometer mechanical water temperature gauge and i don't know where to put the temperature sensor (with the 1/2" npt mounting nut) on the engine.

Can you help me please?

thank you.

If you use the one on the head the temperature will run about 10° hotter then if you were able to find a plug on the intake. I think if you had to you can get aftermarket thermostat housing with a plug in it; confused again I am not sure but it might be worth checking on.

There should be a 1/2 inch pipe plug with a 3/8 square drive recess or a electric temp sensor between cylinders 1 & 3 and a plug between cylinders 6 & 8 or like on the previous post go into the intake.

its on the passenger side and if its the original plug on the original engine..its gonna be hard as hell to get out. Get and aftermarket intake, there will be a plug on ther to use!!!

Thank you for your answers but i prefer to put pictures to be sure.

img0004za0.jpg

first: on the driver side between cylinders 1 & 3 but i think it's for oil pressure ??

img0009kf4.jpg

second: on the passenger side between cylinders 6 & 8. Maybe a possibility but i think it's for oil too.

Thank you Bigscaht,Mike,trunklid and footballubet for your help.

And just so you know, the oil pressure sender is in the back of the engine near the distributor.

Which is no fun to add on a big block "after" the motor is installed...I had to use a mirror... willy_nilly.gif

And just so you know, the oil pressure sender is in the back of the engine near the distributor.

Ok,i take good note of this. Maybe i will put an oil pressure gauge. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

just as a note.. IMHO.. the HEAD is the ONLY Place a temp sensor should be...

who cares about the water temp in the intake manifold? I'm more concerned with where my heads are at.. and if my head gaskets are in danger yet wink

i've discovered when you nearly run out of coolant.. the heads get very hot from the lack of coolant flow.. adn the intake manifold temp sensor doesn't always see that.

Yea, but the temp sender in the head can also read high because it is so close to the exhaust. It's a toss-up. I kept my original sender so my light on the dash would still work, and added a mechanical sender to the intake near the thermostat. I figure I get a good average reading there.

I snooped through the self-serve wrecking yard and found a suitible coolant overflow bottle, and it even has a sender in it to turn on a dash light when coolant gets low. I know it isn't a perfect system, but it's a step in the right direction.

my mech. gauge sender is in my driver's side head.. and my light is connected to a sender in the passenger side head.. only problem is.. that's a gauge sender in the passenger head!!! (it was there when I got the engine, single wire hookup, I thought it was a switch)

but the hotter the engine gets, the brighter the temp light glows! LOL

next time I drain the cooling system I'm gonna swap it for a switch :>