frame mod

Boots

just wondering if anyone here or know of anyone that has back-halfed a car frame ???? pics please

by the look of it blue 502 may have done this

thanks

i have been looking at those too Robert...I actually found one for the montes, but you guys get access to everything south of the border... I have been contemplating using rectangular tubing to keep the $$ down but if it is worth it might try...just wondering if anyone here has done it...Sam there are you tube videos but most pertain to doing straight frame trucks..not the compounding curves of our vehicles...that I can find

Checkered Racing sells some and I thought Reher Morrison did also. I have worked on some back half's that were not put together correctly. It depends on your skill level and your ability to do it. I have a SS 454 Chevy truck here now that has been back halfed very poorly, rather than trying to fix it I think I'm going to cut it off, order another one and replace it.

Robert I think I found the company you are referring to ...s & w race cars...not a bad price and a days drive for me..there...worth considering...checkered is in Indiana and I drove there to get mar car lol...now if I could find something where you are Carl...definitely worth the drive

Bill that is where I got the picture from is S&W race cars out of PA. I just heard back from them in regards to the bare back half kit which runs for $557. It is just the rear frame work with out the brackets welded on the frame for the ladder bars and pan hand bar.

there is a fellow up the street that may be interested in copying the frame using 2x3 tubing..would be cheaper than driving for 2 days..fuel and final price for me..alot closer for you

Paul Carillon (Bowtie Thunder)has a really nice tubbed Monte. I have seen others that you can notice a bulge around the wheel well area. I think it is because the rear has dropped during the installation.

Something like this is not for the faint of heart!

You need to consider more than the cost of the back half. The back half is a minor part of the work. Wheel tubs and body and interior work that goes with it. Are you leaving the back seat out? are you going to cage it? It really helps support the back half.

Who would do the work? Do they have a chassis jig.

I am not trying to discourage you. I am doing a small car that we built a frame for. It is slow going doing it yourself. Keeping motivated is a major deal. Good luck if you decide to go that route.

what Mike said...a reality check....not to discourage but keep it real....you want 15" tires just for looks? If that's the case then maybe you wouldn't care how well the suspension worked. It would take a lot of power to get past what a stock suspension car could handle....just food for thought...

thanks guys...any advice is great to ponder as I still have not got to that point of cutting the frame yet. I'm just running over with what I want over what is feasible. I know I can have anything I want as long as I throw money at it, however there are options. there are good fabbers in my area too which helps things too

Paul Carillon (Bowtie Thunder)has a really nice tubbed Monte. I have seen others that you can notice a bulge around the wheel well area. I think it is because the rear has dropped during the installation.

Something like this is not for the faint of heart!

You need to consider more than the cost of the back half. The back half is a minor part of the work. Wheel tubs and body and interior work that goes with it. Are you leaving the back seat out? are you going to cage it? It really helps support the back half.

Who would do the work? Do they have a chassis jig.

I am not trying to discourage you. I am doing a small car that we built a frame for. It is slow going doing it yourself. Keeping motivated is a major deal. Good luck if you decide to go that route.

Also Mike I think when removing the outer wheel well and cutting the lip off the Quarters contribute to the bulge in the quarter...If I had mine to do over I would leave more lip and maybe try and strengthen that lip