Aftermarket Wheels

Hello All! I am looking at ordering up some wheels for my black 70. I am leaning toward 18's. For the rears I was contemplating 9.5 inch wide with about 5.5 inch backspacing and for the front I was thinking 7.5 or 8.5 inch wide with around 4.5 inch backspacing. I am looking for a black wheel that is kind of 5 spokish and mean looking. If anybody has some favorites I sure would like to see them. This is one that I came across that didn't look to bad.

http://www.wheelguyz.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=505NOS&cat=94&path=3,94

I was curious if anyone has run these sizes? I plan on leaving the rear of the car at a stock height and dropping the front just slightly. Thanks in advance for any info you may have. Have a great one! Rick

The size wheels you have indicated "should" fit. The rear 9.5's should be OK with 5.5 backspace. I would check since a Monte does have as much room as a Chevelle. The front will look better with 8.5's. The 4.5 backspace should be OK however that will depend on the size tire you choose to use AND how low you plan to drop the front. Disc brakes space the front wheels out 1/4 inch on each side compared to drum brakes on an A body. You may be looking at 4 3/4 - 5 inch backspace with 8.5's depending upon the tire height and section width.

There are tire/wheel fitment tools available at a reasonable cost of less than $200. Given the fact that the wheels you have listed above show to cost over $1,000 each, an investment in the proper fitment tool would be well advised.

Wow, over $5,000 in wheels and that doesn't include the tires... eek

Cool wheels though...

tn505gm.jpg

See if they have them on this site to at least see what they will look like on the car... Link

I just noticed in the link I gave you through the E-mail that the car has like a 2" adapter/spacer on it. You might be best off buying that tool mjs-13 suggested. It will save you headaches and having to take the word of someone when they will say it will fit.

Bill cool

Check my web site to see for yourself. My blue 71 had 18's and my green 4spd had 17's. 9.5 in the rear with 5.5 backspacing and 8 in the front with 4.5 backspacing for both sets. They fit perfect. I like the look of the 18's but be warned...the car is going to ride hard on the 18's and your not going to get much traction with a low profile tire. The 17's were a bit hard too but better than the 18's.

My 2 cents,

Steve

Thanks for the advice! Going to 17's is probably a good call as ride quality will be important to me. I am double checking on the price because the initial quote was under 1500 bucks for everything including shipping. I am also needing a new rear bumper. I have several solid cores but they need straightened. Tri-city has been mentioned here so I think I will give them a jingle and see what they can do. Thanks for everything! Rick

I am double checking on the price because the initial quote was under 1500 bucks for everything including shipping.

I looked at that site again and it says...Wheel & Tire Package, at first I didn't catch the "package" part.

Was that for one rim and tire or all four rims and tires? Now I'm just curious.

The tires for the 17's were 245/45 front and 255/50 rear. For the 18's I can't remember the sizes but I do know that the rear was 27 inches tall and the fronts 25.5 inches tall.

The factory tires where 27 inches tall so that's what I wanted for the rear so the speedometers would be accurate.

Steve

I double checked with the wheel outfit and the price is 1300.00 delivered to Omaha with 18X9.5 rears and 18X8.5 front. I am torn between ride quality and looks. I bought a Roush Mustang back in 2000, the only car I ever bought new, that came with 18's and the complete suspension package. I know this Monte should ride like a Caddy compared to it. The tires in the package are manufactured by Nankang so I have no idea what they will be like. The salesman said a 245-45 rear would be 27 inches tall and that for the fronts they would typically ship 225-40's. I wonder if any of these numbers sound like they are in the ballpark. Thanks for the help! Rick

I put 18x9's with 14mm back spacing all the way around. they have Nitto 555's in 285/35 and the car is lowwered. virtually no rub. just make sure your fender wells don't hang down.