Removing Column gear selector lever?

Murphy

In preparation of my 4-speed conversion, I'm curious if the column gearshift lever can be simply be removed without something BAD happening inside the column? Eventually, I'll replace the column with the correct floorshift model but one step at a time.........

Yes, I had done that on my last steering column and also ground off the attachment point on the steering column and filled the hole... No issues...

Thanks guys, appreciate it! I've been also toying with the idea of cutting the lever off at about 4-5 inches as then I could pull it down into R or D so the car then wouldn't start as a safety feature. Hate to cut this lever as its really nice so possibly will have to find another.......

What you could do is remove and fill the lever pivot and then leave the shift collar in the neutral position for starting. When you want to disable starting, grab the collar by hand and rotate it either way to operate the neutral safety switch. (Reverse or Drive) That would deter a beginner thief. Only you and I would know how to start your car! smile

Dan

Murphy,

If you are not planing to install the back drive rod to the column from the reverse shift lever you will not have backup lamps. Also, I beleive you will need to rotate the shift collar to the correct position to get your key out of the ingnition. F.Y.I.

I'm adding a backup light switch to the Muncie (made by Hurst) and then wire up to the steering column connector. You are correct about removing the key, maybe I need to rethink this???

I left all the linkage to my column with the floor shift. I have the neutral safety switch on the floor shift but have not run all of the wiring yet. The shift indicator on the dash worked until I forgot to undo the string/cable when I dropped and changed out my column for a tilt column. That is on my get around tuit list.

Murphy,

If you simply place the shift collar in the park position and leave it there the steering wheel lock will work as well as the neutral start switch and your ability to remove the key. You'll have to go to the bottom of the column and tie the shift arm up with a zip tie or wire so it won't slip down but that's it.