Rear Quarter window regulators

Rock

Is there an easy way of getting these out? I did a search and failed.

Both my rear windows dont roll down smoothly or roll up smoothly so I may need to replace them. Problem is I cant get the interior covers off. I pulled out the back seat, Does the back of the seat need to come out also? I removed the 2 screws holding the lower cover on but that is held in by two screws in the back that I cant get at. The upper cover I removed the one screw that holds on the window seal but that seams to be stubborn also.

Hi, Glen,

You've already removed the two screws at the front of the armrest so you're getting there but there are a couple more things to do before you can get access to your regulator to service or replace it.

First, you need to remove the rear seat back, also. Remove the two bolts shown below and lift the seat back up and off the hanging lip under the edge of the package tray (sounds easier than it actually is).

602.jpg

Now you can get to the screw that holds that flat arching trim piece between the back of each armrest and the package tray as shown below. Note that the screw is about in the middle of the arched trim piece.

603.jpg

You do NOT need to separate the armrest and the arched trim piece, just lift them out together. (Ignore the white insulation in that photo - a previous owner packed the whole rear compartment with that stuff - I removed it all.)

604.jpg

Now you need to remove the window crank in order to remove the interior panel above the armrest.

606.jpg

Sounds like you already found the screw at the top of the panel and have removed it, if not, do it now.

607.jpg

Now the interior panel should lift right off. If not, check for one more screw holding the far back edge of the panel to the inner wall.

608.jpg

Next, remove the vapor barrier to get full access to the regulator.

609.jpg

In the photo below, you can easily see the four hex bolt heads that hold the manual regulator in place. If you need/want to remove it, be sure to tape the window in place so the glass won't slide down when you pull the regulator out. It may not look like enough room but it will come out and go back in fairly easily. You may have to put the window crank on temporarily to reposition the lift arm to get it out.

610.jpg

If you just want to lube the assembly, you can do that without removing the regulator. Be sure to check the condition of the nylon wheel that runs in the track. As you can see in the photo below, the original lube on those wheels and tracks dries out or wears off over the years and can cause binding or rough operation.

611.jpg

You can solve some operational problems by just re-lubing the tracks and wheels with multi-purpose grease.

619.jpg

If the nylon wheel is broken or worn flat, your manual window will never work very easily, if at all. You just about have to remove the regulator to replace that wheel.

Give me a call at (316) 253-4346 if you have any questions. Good luck!

I guess spray foam is a common insta fix...I have about 2 cans throughout my car...nice detailed explanation and good timing. I was planning on doing that very job this weekend...if it will ever stop snowing and blowing

Well I got the regulator out and that was fine. The larger roller guide that rides inside the channel was broken on both windows so I ordered those. Let me tell you getting the window out is a real pain in the A___! Is there an easy way to get the windows in and out? please share your secrets so I do less cussing putting it back together!!

So far I have the channel and regulator all cleaned up and ready for grease. Is there a certain kind of grease I should use or will lithium work OK?

Glen, you've made some great progress. I'm not sure why you took the glass out because the regulator comes out with the glass in place. However, since you did, I'm sure you know or will soon learn how to put the glass back in. smile I hope someone else chimes in here as I have no experience removing or installing the glass. Sorry.

Regarding type of grease, I used white lithium grease on the tracks, wheels and guides of the power windows on my SS car because that was what had been used before. It made an amazing difference in the operation of those windows, of course. I used general purpose grease on the power windows I installed on my other '70. When I refurbished the power regulators, the gear boxes all had a caramel-colored grease in them that appeared to be heavier than lithium grease - possibly due to age. I doubt that you can go wrong with lithium grease on the wheels, tracks and guides for the manual regulators.

So the glass will fit in the hole on the inside of the car? May have to grease the glass cause that will be tight fit. I had to pull the glass out to replace the roller guide. I will upload some pics.

20140125_201506_zps4938af29.jpg

here is a pic of the roller. you can see that it is broken and this is the on at the bottom of the glass and runs in the center of the channel.

20140125_200201_zps38650530.jpg

here's the channel. Disregard the beer in the pic.

20140125_200145_zpsbe15d976.jpg

here is a pic of where the roller sits on the bottom of the glass.

20140125_200253_zpsf015aa89.jpg

A pic of the other side intact with the broken guide.

This is a prime example of the snowball effect!! This started out as replacing the hand cranks and turned into smooth window cranks and replacing guides. As long as everything is out might as well replace the back deck as that is warped and needing replacement.

Thanks for the photos and explanation. Now I understand why you removed the glass and, of course, it's the regulator that will come out the hole in the side not the glass. Looks like you have found a major problem and are well on your way to fixing it.

What is the condition of the nylon roller on the end of the regulator's lift arm that fits into the short, nearly horizontal track near the bottom of the window glass?

It was a little bound up up but in decent shape. Once I replace the center channel guide it will work like new when everything is greased and lubed. I marked where all the bolts where before disassembly so putting it back together shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds good ... it's always a great feeling to fix something that is obviously not working correctly!

If you really want to have some fun, replace your manual regulators with power regulators. There are plenty of salvaged power window systems that show up for sale here or on eBay from time to time. I love power windows and can't live without them. I had them standard on my first and third Montes and added them to my second Monte.