Is this normal?

jgrimmy

Dumb question I'm sure but I started with no interior and am parting it together.

Is this normal or correct? Seems like a huge gap to me. Am I missing a trim part?

This is the rear side panel to the windlace on the C pillar

It's a factory side panel with everything else lining up perfectly.

rear-panel-gap.jpg

Thanks!

John

Hard to see what the gap / overall fitment is but yes, from your pic it looks like the panel does not butt up tight. How does this panel match up with the front door panel with door closed?

Took the liberty and looked over you build and am impressed! That's going to be a beautiful car when you get her back on the road.

You have my deep admiration for all the work you have done. Cant wait to see the finished product!

Doug

I looked at mine and I don't see where you would be missing anything. Mine fits up closer than yours does. I think you might be a victim of mass production. Yours may have just been cut with more material taken off, there for a larger gap. I'm sure there will be others with more experience chiming in soon

Thanks guys. The panel does match up correctly with the front door panel and is nice and snug on the sail panel. The gap for the quarter window is also correct.

Thanks also for the kind words about my build!

John

One thing you can do... Before you finish installing the panels for the last time, paint that area a black color IE: gloss, simi-gloss, flat ect. Then when you're done, any gaps will not be as noticeable.

Just a thought

Good idea on painting it dark behind there, I'll definitely do that. I've been able to minimize it a bit by tweaking the tack strip inwards lessening the gap.

Way too much of a perfectionist, It stood out to me like a turd in a punch bowl. I just couldn't accept it that way.

Thanks!

John

• 3 weeks later...
Those are the premium ones from OPGI. The others are a complete joke!

John

OPGI hu, I bought mine from there and they only had the cheap ones that were chrome only, which I hate and the reason I'm asking. I'll check them out again, tbanks

They are part # WC15119. I am really happy with them.

The screws that came with them for the outer quarters are worthless, they just strip. The original screws worked great though.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I know what your problem is with that gap. I just looked at your build pictures and I think you used the metal top rails from a 71-72 panel. You would need the metal rails from a 70 Monte to match your 70 panel upholstery. The door metals are the same.

Leo might have used ones. I don't think any one makes them to sell. They do come on the assembled door and rear panels. Try to look at some images on line showing those panels for all three years.

Carl

Thanks Carl!

You are correct, they are panels from a 71-72 that someone "installed".

I massaged the top rail and worked the tack strip to get a nice gap I'm pleased with so I think I'll just leave it alone.

Good eye! I had no idea they would be different.

Thanks

John