Canadian SS Cars…

LS5

So after researching what I thought I saw the other week I have come up with…. yes….the goofiest and weirdest thing I have seen and heard of from Canada GM.

Have any of you guys in the states seen or heard of this in our cars….???

in 1970 GM Canada had as an option not only for the Monte Carlo but for the Chevelle as well Rubber Matted Floors……….. No not rubber floor matts to go over your carpet but instead of Carpet on the floor back and front but also that bottom piece on the door panel being rubber too…..????

supposedly there were cars that had rubber flooring in them and one of the cars is here in Calgary ab for sale in a 1970 Chevelle SS Canadian built. an SS of all cars and I have also seen it in a 1971 monte Carlo SS as well that is canadian built and is also for sale…….. I will try to get pictures to post. The Monte has got someone else looking at it to verify but it has to be the wieirdest option I have seen and maybe the rarest………? and here I thought my Electro Tip Wipers in the Monte would take the Cake but this now does instead…..

Darren….

PS I swear its not the meds…….

It was actually installed from the factory in these cars Sam…… you could get it from the Dealer I guess and install it too. But to have it as an opion is goofy its like ordering a triple black 70 Monte Carlo SS with 331's and fully loaded with sway bar and air ride and then asking for an In-line 6 for an engine……. hahahaha and yes you could get the In-line 6 in a chevelle……

Darren.

Now this is Not carpet right or am i seeing things……? Also note the door panel lower part…..

_20-3_zpsdcec6418.jpg

here is the ad for the chevelle for sale NOTE the last line in the ad…..

Date Listed 30-Jan-14

Last Edited 02-Feb-14

Price $15,000.00

Address Lockport, MB R1A 2R1, Canada

View map

Make Chevrolet

Model Chevelle

For Sale By Owner

Body Type Coupe (2 door)

Year 1970

Kilometers 12345

Description

Stored for many years. In rough condition, needs complete resto. One of 20 built by GM, was 396 4 speed, original motor replaced on warranty with a 1969 "CE" block 427. Factory bench seat 4-speed, rubber floor car. Serious inquiries only please.

Darren.

I looked at buying a low mile 1970 4-door Chevelle 300 Deluxe several years ago and it had the rubber flooring instead of carpet. The car was bare bones (307 2 barrel, no power steering, no power brakes, no A/C, no carpet, AM radio, very little chrome trim). I assume the 300 Deluxe model came standard with the rubber floor and the carpet was optional. I've never heard of the rubber floor in a Monte though.

Now this is Not carpet right or am i seeing things……? Also note the door panel lower part…..

_20-3_zpsdcec6418.jpg

That is carpet. The factory rubber floor was black.

I can't help but notice Aaron that on the Matt/Carpet down on the drivers side the darker rubber overlay lays way too flat for it to be carpet and the Sun does not reflect a bright almost reflective shine like that in the middle if it was carpet ? the rubber upper matt would have countersank into carpet right ? It sits to flush to be carpet and also this Monte has been sitting outdoors in the damp BC climate for 40 years the light grey Carpet would be green with mold by now or blackened lots……I guess a build sheet would help but I am not there……

Darren.

Found another but this has the Darker Matt Aaron as you mentioned.

CANADIAN BUILT NOVA SS FOR SALE…

Chevy Nova SS. FOR SALE: Rare 1970 Cranberry Red L78 Nova..sold new at Dick Irwin Chevrolet, Vancouver, BC. Rubber floor mat/bench seat car. M-20 4spd, 12 bolt 3.55 posi, am radio, b/s moldings and brite window trim. Steel wheels with dog dish caps. Plain jane muscle! Born with engine and rear..tranny is not original, but is a correct 1970 Nova M-20. Highly documented car: POP, bill of sale, build sheet, pre-delivery form and multiple copies of GM of Canada paperwork. Older restoration that still looks great. I have an extensive photo library of the restoration, pictures of the original owner, magazine features and more. Just took it out of storage to install the new correct 731 seat covers and have it completely detailed. Red, bench seat, rubber mat, BB, 4 speed…hard combo to beat!70chev58675-1_zpsb2b32b04.jpg70chev58675-4_zps3252d98a.jpg

Darren.

I have seen and owned and currently own rubber floor mat cars, no Monte Carlos though. I pulled parts from a 71 Chevelle 4 door, V8/auto car with remote driver mirror. I saw one Heavy Chevy with a rubber mat. I owned a 71 Nova, 90K 307/2bbl glide w/power brakes and a/c with rubber floor mat. I have a 70 F-85(base Cutlass) that originally had a rubber mat and my 55K mile 70 F-85 W-31 has a factory rubber floor mat with documentation, aftermarket had been installed over the factory mat at some time in the past. It is not very common and many probably had carpet installed at a later date so it would be difficult to know how many came with a rubber mat.