I LOVE south Florida and having a dragstrip close!

Mom's Car

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg do you know exactly what Morel's are in it? They have 4..a street lifter for smaller cams under .600 lift (I doubt they are those but you never know)..a sportsman lifter which is the most common (#4603)...a limited travel lifter...these 3 are all in a .842 body...and a new one for a .903 lifter body (very new)....one thing is they do not like a heavy oil, they recommend a 5 or 10/30....40 at the very max...they will make some noise for a couple of 100 miles. The pre-load doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as the valvetrain geometry and rocker type. Aluminum rockers make noise all by themselves and sometimes that's mistaken for the lifters. In the Chevelle you can hear the rockers more than the lifters..the Monte used steel rockers and was totally quiet..both cars have the 4603 sportsman lifters...

Greg do you know exactly what Morel's are in it? They have 4..a street lifter for smaller cams under .600 lift (I doubt they are those but you never know)..a sportsman lifter which is the most common (#4603)...a limited travel lifter...these 3 are all in a .842 body...and a new one for a .903 lifter body (very new)....one thing is they do not like a heavy oil, they recommend a 5 or 10/30....40 at the very max...they will make some noise for a couple of 100 miles. The pre-load doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as the valvetrain geometry and rocker type. Aluminum rockers make noise all by themselves and sometimes that's mistaken for the lifters. In the Chevelle you can hear the rockers more than the lifters..the Monte used steel rockers and was totally quiet..both cars have the 4603 sportsman lifters...

I don't have the part number for the Morel lifters and since I am in Florida, I don't have my paperwork. These are their High Rev lifters. According to the builder, they were having a problem with the lifters breaking over 6k rpm. Their solution is these lifters which bleed down, hence the clacking. The suggestion was originally to go with the 10w 30. The latest was to go to a 5w 30 which you already know. It is not the rockers as the noise does go away. Since my motor is all in at 5800 rpm, my thought was to go with the non rhodes like lifters....lol. Your thoughts as always are quite welcomed! I will try the lighter oil first and keep my fingers crossed.

Greg...lifters breaking over 6k? I would say bs....if that was the case then they are using stupid cheap lifters for a build like yours. When they say "hi rev" that could be anything (Morel uses no such terminology) so it would be nice to know what they put in there. The bleed down rate on my Morel 4603's after over 300 passes was still only 3%, what they are telling you makes no sense. Bleed down has nothing to do with the valvetrain's ability to carry the rev specs...that's lifter type, valve spring pressures and geometry.... wink

Greg...lifters breaking over 6k? I would say bs....if that was the case then they are using stupid cheap lifters for a build like yours. When they say "hi rev" that could be anything (Morel uses no such terminology) so it would be nice to know what they put in there. The bleed down rate on my Morel 4603's after over 300 passes was still only 3%, what they are telling you makes no sense. Bleed down has nothing to do with the valvetrain's ability to carry the rev specs...that's lifter type, valve spring pressures and geometry.... wink
I am awaiting confirmation but I went on the morel site and I am going to guess that they are the #5045 Lifters.

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey
I am awaiting confirmation but I went on the morel site and I am going to guess that they are the #5045 Lifters.
I just found out I have the same lifters as you.