I LOVE south Florida and having a dragstrip close!

Mom's Car

I dont blame you greg. Itll last a whole lot longer that way. Cant wait to see it run down the track. Im sure well be doing something in the spring. I hope.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont blame you greg. Itll last a whole lot longer that way. Cant wait to see it run down the track. Im sure well be doing something in the spring. I hope.

It sure is a lot easier to have a track I can drive too in under an hour and test things out. I would like to get the bugs worked out so I can do the same with ATCO. I want to drive the car there and drive it home. I have AAA with 200 mile towing just in case!

Well, I put a Holley Billet Fuel Pump rated at 150 gph in the Monte and I did not pick up any mph. I decided to pull the hoses off my ram air on the low profile spectre air cleaner. I picked up 1.5 mph. I took the air cleaner off and I picked up 4 mph. I guess the air cleaner is not flowing enough air. I ran a 11.48 at 120.8 mph with a 1.69 sixty foot. I also found out I am at 31 degrees total timing. Next trip out, I am going to bump up the timing a couple of degrees and see what happens. I LOVE Florida!

I ran 38 on my 468 too

did you put a bigger fuel line on it too?

and what size carb are you running?

We did not have time to swap out to a larger line so I still have the 3/8. I wanted to see what difference it made with just the pump. I had a 72 gph carter and put in the 150 gph holley. The carb is a 950cfm Quick fuel.

there's another problem!!!!

a holley based 950 actually flows less than a 850, that monster needs a minimum of a true 1000 cfm or more, that why you are picking up when you take off your air filter, a 950 flows 830 if my memory serves me, you can't go by the advertised CFM, that thing wantsmore!, more of everything! you get that thing tuned and I'll bet it will go into the 10's

With your 582 you are somewhat carb limited for strip duty. What is the RPM through the traps? Do you feel it nosing over at the big end? Work with what you have and have fun. See what you can do to improve 60 foot times. It will really help the numbers.

I have that Holley pump on my 505 it works well for me. If you want to make the line change to 1/2 inch you should consider changing the pickup to one like this robbmc pickup

I would just enjoy your time at the track and work with what you have for now.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

there's another problem!!!!

a holley based 950 actually flows less than a 850, that monster needs a minimum of a true 1000 cfm or more, that why you are picking up when you take off your air filter, a 950 flows 830 if my memory serves me, you can't go by the advertised CFM, that thing wantsmore!, more of everything! you get that thing tuned and I'll bet it will go into the 10's

The quick fuel is different then the holley in that it actually flows 950 cfm. Thanks for the input Sam.

With your 582 you are somewhat carb limited for strip duty. What is the RPM through the traps? Do you feel it nosing over at the big end? Work with what you have and have fun. See what you can do to improve 60 foot times. It will really help the numbers.

I have that Holley pump on my 505 it works well for me. If you want to make the line change to 1/2 inch you should consider changing the pickup to one like this robbmc pickup

I would just enjoy your time at the track and work with what you have for now.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Another member pointed out that 1/2" pick up as well. That is a nice piece. When I hit the track next Friday I am going to try bumping up the timing a little from the 31 degrees total that it is at now and go from there. I am doing exactly as you say in that I am going to tweak what I have and go from there. Thanks for the input Mike.

Way to go greg. Much better. Keep tweeking and youll get closer and closer to the 10's for sure. Congrats on the progress!! Btw JA always tells me to take my air cleaner off when we race. 5mph is huge. One ? How do you think a roll bar is gonna go with hubcaps? Lol. Your gonna need one now buddy.

Way to go greg. Much better. Keep tweeking and youll get closer and closer to the 10's for sure. Congrats on the progress!! Btw JA always tells me to take my air cleaner off when we race. 5mph is huge.
Thanks Al. I want to work all the bugs out so I can join you guys at the next track rental and actually enjoy the car.

a holley based 950 actually flows less than a 850, that monster needs a minimum of a true 1000 cfm or more, that why you are picking up when you take off your air filter, a 950 flows 830 if my memory serves me, you can't go by the advertised CFM,

Sam, a little clarification on the Holley "950": you are correct that the 80496 (950 4150 HP) is really an 830 cfm carb. It has a 1.375 venturi and a 1.75 throttle blade.

Holley also has the 80805 (950 Ultra HP) which is a completely different animal than the 4150 HP and does actually flow 950 cfm. It has a 1.59 venturi and a 1.75 throttle blade (even the info on the Holley site is friggen confusing). It is the "true 950 cfm" according to Holley. Funny how they don't say it is in reference to their own non-950 950!

I have one of each... the Ultra is on my 540 and is awesome. The 4150 was bought about 10 years ago- slowed down the 540, and has been sitting in a box ever since. I recently found out it is supposed to be an excellent carb for 454s. I am going to try it eventually in my Monte.

who says you can't teach a old dog new tricks, why can't they just sell them for what they really are confused

Completely agree. It is ridiculous. Maybe they are stuck between the continued damage to their reputation and just coming clean and admitting they are wrong. I bet a lawyer said "if you change the description, you'll open yourself up to lawsuits".

I spent a lot of money on that first carb and then a lot of time trying to understand why my car wouldn't run with it... I've stuck with Holley, but this still leaves a bad taste. The Holley trailer tech guys cringe when you bring it up to them- which I have done on more that one occasion.

Greg - I'm a little late to the thread here....

You gotta take me for a ride in Mom's Car before you head back north! It is the ultimate sleeper - except for the SS454 emblems. Never seen the wood grain dash with the radio delete! That is a rare piece....

Greg - I'm a little late to the thread here....

You gotta take me for a ride in Mom's Car before you head back north! It is the ultimate sleeper - except for the SS454 emblems. Never seen the wood grain dash with the radio delete! That is a rare piece....

Duffy's next Tuesday...........

you're headed in the right direction Greg, it's gonna want all the air and fuel it can get. Even my "little" 509 will take everything I can throw at it. As far as timing I wouldn't expect really big improvements with bumping it but certainly do that. Along with Sam and Mike when I ran mind on the dyno 38 degrees was its sweet spot. That said when we backed it off to 32 it only lost 18 hp and 12 ft lbs so not a huge difference. Of course this will very from build to build but it gives you an idea what to expect....when you have a few extra $$ you will need to call Patrick at ProSystems for a carb built to your motor/setup specs... wink

you're headed in the right direction Greg, it's gonna want all the air and fuel it can get. Even my "little" 509 will take everything I can throw at it. As far as timing I wouldn't expect really big improvements with bumping it but certainly do that. Along with Sam and Mike when I ran mind on the dyno 38 degrees was its sweet spot. That said when we backed it off to 32 it only lost 18 hp and 12 ft lbs so not a huge difference. Of course this will very from build to build but it gives you an idea what to expect....when you have a few extra $$ you will need to call Patrick at ProSystems for a carb built to your motor/setup specs... wink
Thanks Davey.....I am heading out to the next test and tune on Wednesday to see what the timing adjustment did. If drive train and accessory loss is actually around 12% to 15%, I am probably close to what the motor did on the dyno.

I would like to do some baseline testing on my Subaru tuners Mustang Dyno. I think a ProSystems carb is in my future! On a side note, the Morel Hi Rev lifters I have make a racket till it warms up. I would go with a Straub cam if I can rid myself of that noise. All in all, I am having a blast. And, those Nitto 555R's are working so far. Nothing beats running my car as it sits. The looks I get in the staging lanes is priceless! Thanks for the help!