I LOVE south Florida and having a dragstrip close!

Mom's Car

First pass, it was starving for fuel. I guess I should have let it cool down after the hour and a half of bumper to bumper traffic. I am still working on the launch. I did manage a 1.78 60 foot. I went a 12.11 at 113. Second pass was even worse as it totally flattened out and I aborted the pass. I let it cool for an hour and ran 1 last time. I had a 1.81 60' with a bit of wheel hop. I stayed in it because there was a late model Boss 302 Mustang in the next lane. I ran a 12.06 at 116.83 so I loaded everyone back in the car and drove home. All in all......I had a blast and beat the Stang! I could put some exhaust cut outs in maybe shave a tenth or two but I just don't know if it is worth the effort. Next time I hit the track I am bringing a cooler with some bags of ice to cool the intake. I am also going to add a line lock as I need to get a little more heat in the Nitto 555R's.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you may need a bigger fuel pump or larger fuel lines, do you have a fuel pressure gauge? was pressure dropping off?

maybe richen up the secondaries some

you are oh so close to the 11's! yay

Great job Greg! cool Glad ya had fun. Your mph through the traps is good for easy 11's just like Sam said. Get the 60' down and you are there.

Not sure what engine you have but if you have a stock fuel pump you might want to go aftermarket. If the car is nosing over as your rpm increases and towards the end of the run then it is an indicator that running out of fuel. Make sure you have a at least 1/2 a tank of gas to keep the tank pickup covered if you have a stock configuration.

Keep us updated.

David

Even with the problems the mph is showing it will be well into the 11's. Also sounds like you need a better fan set-up if it is running hot.

Thanks guys! The car does not go over 180 degrees. I think it is a problem with the fuel being too hot. Good idea with the fuel pressure gauge. I have an electric pump and I always fill the tank before I hit the track. The motor is a 582 backed by a TKO 600. I have a 9" with a 3.70 gear. The tires are 325/50-15. I know the car would be faster with an automatic but the stick is so much fun!

Are there any rules at your track as far as hubcaps? I think they are cool and look great on a car for that sleeper look but the fear of it flying off during a burnout or the sidewall wrinkling during launch and pushing the hubcap off would scare me.

This is a scary track. They are letting cars leave while the last pair of cars have not hit the return road yet. So far, my hubcaps have not come off.

Are there any rules at your track as far as hubcaps? I think they are cool and look great on a car for that sleeper look but the fear of it flying off during a burnout or the sidewall wrinkling during launch and pushing the hubcap off would scare me.

I did the same with my Subaru as far as overkill. 465 lph pump and 200 lb injectors for E85. I think you are spot on with the problem now that I am pondering the thought! Thanks for the input.

I used -10 (5/8) to feed my 12:1 468, I was losing fuel pressure with my 11:1 460 using -6 (3/8)

I know the -10 was overkill but it stopped my fuel delivery problem lol

582 good gosh!!!!! shocked As others have stated you really need to step up your feed line size. -8 like Sam said, as a minimum -10 would be better. If you are staying with your stock tank and I suggest that you install a Robbmc 1/2" pickup. It fits the stock tank and is set up to use the factory gas gauge (90 ohm ending unit) and has a return port if you decide to go to a return style regulator.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/1069_gmsend.html

David

Thanks for the link. That is a cool set up. I will def get it.

582 good gosh!!!!! shocked As others have stated you really need to step up your feed line size. -8 like Sam said, as a minimum -10 would be better. If you are staying with your stock tank and I suggest that you install a Robbmc 1/2" pickup. It fits the stock tank and is set up to use the factory gas gauge (90 ohm ending unit) and has a return port if you decide to go to a return style regulator.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/1069_gmsend.html

David

I have larger fuel lines in the engine compartment with the large filter and regulator, and a high volume mechanical pump BUT, I still have BONE STOCK 72 Monte 350 2 barrel line running from the tank, of course the return has been removed, and its just a 462.

And on these Montes, fuel will spill out the back with no sump in the tank, so the less fuel the better, they really got on my case last time I took the car to the track.

I have larger fuel lines in the engine compartment with the large filter and regulator, and a high volume mechanical pump BUT, I still have BONE STOCK 72 Monte 350 2 barrel line running from the tank, of course the return has been removed, and its just a 462.

And on these Montes, fuel will spill out the back with no sump in the tank, so the less fuel the better, they really got on my case last time I took the car to the track.

Hey Jared,

I bought a Stant locking fuel cap which has a much thicker sealing gasket than the factory twist on cap. That solved my fuel spillage out of the filler neck.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/snn-10571/overview/year/1972/make/chevrolet/model/monte-carlo

David

As much as I would like too, I just can't abuse it like that. I really, really, really do want to though......

I was told by Vinny Budano over at Shafiroff's shop that I need to flow 1 gallon in 20 seconds. I am heading over to the local dude down here (Glen and Roger @ Spanish River Auto)to fix it's ills. Check out this you tube clip of Roger from last week. He is the current president of the "No Lift" club!

And keep that foot smashed into the pedal on every shift!!!

If you go electric, you might want to consider this Aeromotive Stealth Fuel system:

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/new-products/18302-70-72-chevelle-and-70-monte-carlo/

Says it is good to 1000hp for a NA carb engine. Not cheap and definitely unconventional. It uses an in-tank pump with high pressure and a regulator that reduces the pressure down at the carb. The high pressure and return line keeps the heat-gremlins away and you don't need to run huge lines (-8AN). I have this on my 10-second Camaro and I love it.