printed circuit

John S

Cluster of course must come out but dash only needs to be loosened. There's threads on this somewhere. There's two different printed circuits available....one specific for clusters with tack and gauges and another one specific for idiot lights. Disconnect the battery first and just take your time. That's my 2 cents. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Yes John, you can handle it yourself. Remove the top dash pad, 6-7 screws, then remove a few bolts that hold the dash in place, it will be helpful to also removed the 2 bolts holding the steering column in place and let the column rest on the seat. Now you can gently pull the dash assembly forward, gaining access to all the PCB connections. Take your time and don't force anything. The gauge housing is brittle plastic and all the harnesses are fairly stiff, just get plenty of light on the project so you can see everything...........Good luck!

I did it myself in my 72 Monte. I did not remove the dash. I had to loosten it just to give more clearance to pull the cluster out. Murphy's comments above are great advice. Take your time.

Hi John,

I have to do mine as well. I've been working on other areas, but am about ready to address this issue as well. I purchased a new printed circuit from Leo and http://koniksklassiks.com/. Also I found a helpful video on Craigslist, you can view it here: http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/psheean/media/MonteCarloDash_zpsf34e840a.mp4.html

Like the guys said, take your time, and get a friend if you remove the dash as the video says.

I replaced mine in the car, just by loosening removing the bolts and allowing the dash to slide forward and rest on the column, which was resting on the seat. Pretty easy other than having to reach down between the windshield and dash.

Thanks everyone for the advice. My 1970 chevy manual makes it sound a lot more complicated. I'm in no hurry and I know 40+ years makes a lot of things brittle including myself.