Rear Axle Bearings ...

Mike Brichta

I am hearing a noise from my 12-bolt posi rear which I believe to be the rear axle bearings and am planning to replace them.

Can anyone recommend where to order the following items:

- Axle bearings

- Rear end Differential Oil

- Posi Additive

Also, would it make any sense to consider the "C" Clip eliminators or just leave as is? I've never done that before.

Thanks!!

Mike

I also had a noise that turned out to be my right rear axle bearing BUT the axle shaft was worn so I needed to purchase an OFF SET bearing. I just went to my local auto parts place and got a Federal-Mogul RP-5707. I have a 1971 12 bolt cover without limited slip if that makes a difference. Don't forget the seals and cover gasket.

Bruce

Mike,

I replaced my rear wheel bearings earlier this year. I just stopped by the local Advance Auto Parts store and got the bearings, seals, a differential pan gasket, 2 quarts of differential oil and a bottle of Posi-traction additive. Be aware that your axle shaft(s) could be worn enough at the point where they contact the inner bearing race to warrant either axle replacement or the use of offset bearings so be sure you can return/exchange the standard bearings if you buy them before you tear into the rear end.

Here's the link to a photo journal I made of my project: Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings

You may want to eliminate the "C" clips for some other reason, but you certainly don't have to do that just to replace the bearings. Yes, you have to remove the "C" clips to remove the axle shafts, but it's no big deal at all. The most difficult part of this project is pulling (or driving) the old bearings out of the axle housing. Good luck.

You're welcome, Mike, glad it is useful to you. I forgot to mention that all of the commentary on the various steps is in the captions below the photos. You have to click on one of the photos in the albumn to enlarge it and then you can read the captions beneath the photo, After one photo has been enlarged you can simply click on it to advance to the next photo. Good luck with your project - it is really pretty straight forward.

Your axle bearings are:

Timken Rear Axle Bearing #5707 $11.52 Ea. Rock Auto

Timken Seal #8660S $1.63 Rock Auto

Carl