Running Hot!

ClassicJJ

From my more recent post some of you know that I just put a 4 row champion radiator in my car. I've gone through everything on the cooling system but she still heats up at a stop w/out A/c. I live in Arizona so I know it might run hotter then most of yours but it's a small block Chevy 350 all original nothing done to the motor. I don't understand why she gets up to 230 at a stand still. I want to make it run cool cause I have plans to put the A/c back in it. Any advice? New severe fan clutch, recently took out the thermostat, new houses, new water pump and nothing in return.

by chance are you using aftermarket "power" pulleys on the engine?

if you are, I had the same problem, the smaller crank pulley slows down the water pump

and/or is the cooling system heating up very quickly?

a head gasket can also cause this as well as retarded timing

I don't have after market pulleys nor is there ever a loss in coolant so I'm not thinkin head gasket but I didn't replace the thermostat so I'll put one back in it and see of that changes anything.

Good read from Stewart Water pumps on t-stats http://stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

Like suggested by the others re-install the t-stat. You also may have air in the cooling system that can cause hot spots and cooling issues.

With the engine cold remove the cap and crank the engine up. The t-stat will open and coolant will begin to flow when the engine gets to operating temp. With the cap off air will be burped from the system. You should see air bubbles in the coolant coming out of the cooling flues as it circulates. These will dissipate as the system purges the air. You may get a big burp and the coolant level will drop way down in the radiator. No big deal just refill until it is 3" inches or so from the top. Put the cap on and take her for a spin.

Give it a try.

David

I don't have after market pulleys nor is there ever a loss in coolant so I'm not thinkin head gasket but I didn't replace the thermostat so I'll put one back in it and see of that changes anything.

I parked mine on a steep incline and ran the motor with the cap off. You wouldn't believe how much air came out of the motor. I also ran with the heat on so I could evacuate the air out of there also. Now I run about 190 degrees all day long.