Bumper Braces

Guest 1970 James Byers

1970 outer brackets are different from the 1971-2 outer brackets

After talking to Leo, he wasn't positive, but believes the holes in the 71-2 bumpers are spaced different than the 70's

he recommended using brackets for whatever year bumper you are using to ensure as little problems as possible

Well I went out and looked. All bumper holes from a 70 bumper and a 72 bumper are in the exact same location, Bumper Bolt holes and holes at the bottom as well.

I do not have a 71 bumper to compare it.

As Sam Stated..

71-72 outers are the same, 70 doesn't have the wide rounded out part stamped into it to clear the park light housing that was on the 71.

I've known there was a difference for a long time just didn't let it click that the skinnier styled brackets I was removing while stripping bumpers were off of a 70, if you want to save a few pounds use the 70 brackets on a 72, they are not as heavy, or seem not to be.

When I bought my 70 Monte. It was made to look like a 72. The previous owner used a 72 for a parts car since the 70 was rear-ended and pushed into the rear of another auto. I reused the front bumper brackets to mount the aftermarket 70 bumper on my car when I changed it all back to look like the 70. The '70 turn signal housings had had no issues with fit, didn't hit the brackets. When looking for aftermarket brackets for the bumper. I only see one set in the catalog's. There for I thought it was a one size fits all thing. Even though they state for the '70. I hope someone will post photos of the differences in the brackets. I would like to see that.