Factory Tach to MSD 6AL Box

Jared Richey

Ok, so after the painstaking process of ripping everything out of the Red Monte to a bare inside firewall, adding insulation, firewall pad, and cleaning up the way the wires were routing every which a way, I'm ready to re-install the dash, and factory Tach and Gauge Cluster.

I simply need to know which wires I need to tap into on the back side of the cluster, as one I would assume will go to the Tach port on the MSD Box, and usually there are one or several others to make a Tachometer work.

Are you working with a factory stock instrument cluster with gauges?

To add the gauges to my non-gauge 71 350 I bought a donor 71 350 and swapped everything over. There is a single brown wire for the tach and it was part of the plug that went into the printed circuit. This wire is all by itself (it did not go into the look for the firewall connector) and required a hole be drilled into the fire wall and the tach wire be installed to the (-) negative side of the stock coil.

If you are adding something non stock, sorry, I can't help with that. I have a poor scan of the "plug" that goes into the PC showing the wire info I will send you.

Bruce

Got your email Bruce, thanks!

I found out Steve Levanti simply routed that wire instead of to the coil to the MSD terminal, so that's what I did.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I did that, sadly my tach is fried, I was scared it was once I found the signal wire had been routed to a 12 volt source on the fuse block by the previous owner ever so many years ago.

Its all back together now, has been for a over a month, but what a difference driving the car with a well insulated firewall, and easier getting in and out with no tach on the steering column being able to use my Tilt. Bought a small LED shift light Tach from Summit and mounting it on a bracket right in front of the clock. Small low key and neat looking.

Used a new Circuit board and Lens, dash lights up awesome now, also hooked my speedo back up, 15 mph fast right now though.