Gauge issue

John S

When I turn on the headlights the temp gauge jumps to the right two marks on the gauge the gas gauge also goes down slightly. Also with car off turning on the lights makes the temp gauge peg clockwise to the 6 oclock position. Any ideas? I know the printed circuit board is a little "rough" I have a new one just haven't had time to put in. If you have any ideas let me know.

John S

Ground is secure some dash light connections on circuit board appear damaged. could voltage from dash lights be going to temp gauge connection? Maybe time to finally change PCB I read in previous posts to be careful and note all ground connections and make sure they are clean and secure.

John S

I have almost the same problem with the headlights on the temp gage reads to the right also with the brakes on. My amp gauge goes crazy and sometimes reads upside down. I believe that my problem is linked to the ground strap that goes from the headlight switch to the wiper switch and then to the dash bracket I don't  have it installed.Don't want to pull the dash to install it. 

OK I replaced my headlight switch recently and saw the ground strap at the headlight switch but did not follow it down to the wiper switch or dash bracket. I'll check that out. Just wondering can one person roll the dash forward to replace printed circuit? My manual says two people needed.

John S

I did mine myself and I'm no mechanic by any stretch. It wasn't as bad a job as I thought. You just need to take your time. 2 people aren't needed to access and pull the cluster as the dash doesn't have to come completely out. There's threads with lots of info on here about it but you'll need to search for it. It is a tight fit when reinstalling the cluster so be careful of the printed circuit as you don't want to damage it. I found it tricky hooking the speedo cable back up because of it being so tight for space but it has worked ever since I did it so it must be fine. If you have an ashtray light, it hooks into one of the bulb sockets toward the end of the cluster closest to the ashtray.

That's my 2 cents. :)

Cheers,

Larry