vin, plate, engine and carb verification pls

wjochem

Hello all and thanx in advance.  Re-started working on a project I've had sitting for a few years and picked it up as best I can tell it is numbers matching 1970 350/4spd.  Haven't tried to find the build sheet or get numbers off tranny/axle (yet).  Sorry if the post is a little long.  Here's my interpritation of decoding stuff but figured those that know more then me can tell me if I've looked up something wrong.

VIN  138570L158016

1 - Chevy

38 - Monte Carlo

57 - 2dr hard top

0 - 1970

L - Los Anglees/Van Nuys

158016 - Production Sequence

TRIM TAG

ST .....  70-13857

70 - Year

138 - Series

57 - Body Type

BL19532

BL - Assembly Plant

19532 - Unit Number

TR757

757 - Interior Color/Trim  (black fabric?)

28B - Lower - Fathom Blue    Upper - Black (has vinyl top that doesn't come to windshield)

12C

12 - Month of Build

c - Week of Build

ENGINE (stamp pad and casting)

10L15015

1- Chevy

0 - 1970

L - LA/Van

158015 - Should match Vin?  Last number is one off as vin is 6, not 5

T1203CNJ

T - Tonawanda

12 - Month

03 - Day

CNJ - 1970 350/300hp

3970014 - 1970-1973 350 engine

CARB - Q-jet

70 - 66-75 yr

4 - decade (70-75)

0 - year  (1970)

2 - 4Bbl

0 - Chevy

3 - Manual

Welcome!

Sounds like a nice car. Could it be that the way the 6 was stamped on the block that it appears to be a 5? I would clean the area really well and look at it closer if you have not already done so. With it being built in Van Nuys, you should be able to find a build sheet somewhere in the seats. My Van Nuys 72 had it in the upper portion of the back seat. Likely one on the gas tank too.

• Like 1

my 350 4 speed was built at the Van Nuys plant too, on January 5th 1970

the trans should have the VIN on the passengers side of the case near the tail shaft housing meets it

the rear axle will not have the VIN

I found 3 build sheets in mine

one in the bottom half of the front seat, rolled up nice and pretty! not in the springs

one on the gas tank...bad shape :(

one in the bottom half of the back seat, in the springs, only saved pieces of that one :(

my seq number is 160704, when my engine was stamped, you can only see the 1607 and barely see the 7, i take it they didn't hold the stamp flat when they struck it

7040203 is the correct carb number

my is also fathom blue but with a white painted roof

blue bench seat interior

here's my trim tag, note there is no paint codes

gallery_1341_4_1413157472_1733.jpg

4_speed1.JPG

• Like 1

Follow up on the engine......Is there any reason the engine and vin would be 1 number off?  I managed to track down the person I bought this from.  In speaking with him the story is the same as when I bought it years ago.  His parents bought it new.  The wife got it when they divorced and he ended up with it when she passed away and there it sat.  To his knowledge there was never any engine replacement or work as it got parked as it ran rough and mechanic indicated it would need a rebuild.  Will be searching for build sheet when the weather is a little wamer.    

assembly line mistake, they forgot to change the stamp, if it's only one number off, you can bet it's the original engine

your car was built just a few weeks before mine on the same line

You all are a wealth of knowledge.  I dug out the partial build sheet I had stashed away of course after I finally remembered that safe place I put it to look at it somewhere down the road, like today.  It was on top of the gas tank and thanx to Sam I'm now hopeful there are more to be found:)  If some of the more interesting boxes I can read are right and looking through build sheet stuff;

27 - NJ (matches engine so should be original engine)

28 - WB (indicates M20)

67 - GK (guages)

JL2 - Power Disc Front

L48 - v8  350ci

UF1 - Mirror Lamp

UM1 - AM Radio with Tape

U14 - Instrumentation Package

U25 - Trunk Light

U35 - Clock

I'm in the final stages of a frame off resto on mine, so I've done all the research already, I just wish I could find out how many bench seat 4 speeds there were and how many 2-tone montes too

that AM radio with tape is a rare option, do you have it? :confused:

It will be nice to see pictures of your completed Monte and it does sound like one of the rare ones.  The original radio was removed and he had a after market one in there that fit the stock mounting holes so the dash was not cut, thankfully.  A friend had a 70 Impala with the am/fm/8track so I have that sitting in the trunk and will hope that it will hook up/work with the harness as he didn't cut the radio plug off, just made connectors to work with it.  Also have 8-track tapes that still work and a 8track to cassette adaptor.  I do have a bench seat for a 70 Monte laying around here somewhere and maybe even the auto column just haven't decided what to do with them yet.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Sam, sorry for taking so long to get back with you......It's a bucket  with console.  The bench seat and column came from a parted out car years ago, back when I had a a bucket/auto and was debating on putting a bench/column in but eventually sold that car and kept the project I have now......downsizing is sometimes an agonizing process.

with the bucket seats, people have found build sheets in the lower cushions and inside the back of the seat, the lower potion of the back seat is another very common place to find a build sheet

Sounds like you have a great monte there Wayne.... I also have a 4spd monte, actually 2 of them. one is a 402 4spd bench seat car and the other is a 402 4spd buckets and console car but needs restoring and also has tach and gauges and other options..... would not mind having a 350 4spd car.

post some pictures of your monte so we can see what she looks like....

Darren.